Swittching blackberry to iPhone 4G - help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grafx, Jun 7, 2010.

1. grafx macrumors newbie

Ok..ima long time loyal blackberry user. but im finally making the jump to iPhone.

1. browsing isn't terribad
    2. Apps
    3. lag is non existant compared to a BB

etc etc... but now i ask

Jailbroken... what exactly are the benefits of it and why do people do it? Since it's such an old term everytime i google all i find is ways how to do it, no explanation of why it's beneficial or harmful. So what exactly do you get out of it? is it reversable?

2. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

It is beneficial because it allows you to download apps that apple doesn't allow in the app store. For example you could download an app that turns your iPhone into a free mobile wifi spot. Or you could download a theme that would change the look of your phone.

3. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I am probably going to get yelled at for this, but I do not think it is useful. Yeah, you get to add stuff that you can not originally put on the phone, but I can not see paying that much money for a phone to ruin it.

Even though you can restore it back (which can be a pain to do after a while), it does void Apple's warranty (meaning if you have a defect or anything). Which is why I say it can be annoying to keep changing if you keep having problems with your phone.

If I were you, I would use the phone first and see if you like it.

4. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

My dad is both a Blackberry and iPhone user, I am currently a Blackberry user (9700) about to switch to the 4th gen iPhone.

Jailbreaking provides many other app options. For example, the Chinese hand writing isn't as good by default on the iPhone, so I jailbreak my father's iPhone to download an Chinese character input app called iAccess. The chinese hand input is many many many times better.

Also, Skype is currently available only works with wifi (althought Skype 2.0 will utilize 3G). However, with a couple of Jailbreaking apps (3G unrestrictor, insomnia, backgrounder), my dad can now place skype calls anywhere over 3G or Edge, saving him TONS of money for when he makes long distance calls into China or back to the States. Since Skype quits the moment you press the home button (no multitasking yet on iPhone), the Jailbreak app "backgrounder" keeps Skype running even after quitting it, so anyone that calls him through his Skype number can get to him immediately using his network data and not phone minutes.

You certainly do not have to jailbreak your phone, but if you find apps available only on Cydia, than it is worth it by all means.

I am very excited about the iPhone, Blackberry is just way too boring, I only use it for emailing, iPhone is just so much better!

5. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Jailbreaking allows you to have apps you can't get on the App Store, and it allows you to run the iPhone on a carrier other than AT&T if you know what you are doing (that is called unlocking).

I am also switching from Blackberry to iPhone. I considered a Jailbroken before deciding to buy a new one, and know that it does take a bit of dedication and attention to keep it running properly. There are rumors that some of the jailbreaking software has hitches to it.

I would strongly suggest that you search around this forum and read and understand all of the threads on this subject before you buy a jailbreak phone and understand what you have to do and what you need to look for in a phone.

I decided that the jailbroken phone was more that I wanted to invest in terms of time, maintaining and risk. I am going to buy a new iPhone when they come out and run it on it's intended carrier (AT&T or whoever).

BUT I could have bought one and run it on Cincinnati Bell though, with the proper set up. And if you have your heart set on trying to master jailbreaking and unlocking, this is the best place to get your information about how to do it.

6. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Jailbreaking is, of course, not useful for everyone... but i'm confused about how it ruins iPhones?

FYI 2.0 is on, up and loose