Swollen Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BasilFawlty, Jul 14, 2011.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I recently noticed that the battery cover on my MacBook was not seating well. A gap had developed and at first I thought the plastic cover had just warped due to heat, etc. But today I pulled the cover off and found that the actual problem is the battery had swollen! The battery still works well, but it has swollen for some reasonl. The MB is about 1 year old aluminum model. Is this common?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not common, but it happens. Take it to Apple to see if they'll replace it.

3. mactechy macrumors member

I have a similar problem to the above with my MBP 2008 which I only took about 6 times out of the office and looked after as good as I could.
    Apple made a short answer on the phone suggesting to ring the local service and those suggested that with that age it is more or less normal or can be expected.
    I'm very disapointed in such a pricy product!
    Has anyone of you been succesful on getting a battery replaced at no cost?

4. Lara F macrumors 6502a

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Hmm--well that is not really what I would call a similar problem. You are talking about a Macbook that is over 3 years old whereas the OP's Macbook is only a year old. So unusual for him, not so unusual for you.

6. mactechy macrumors member

Would you admit that, taking the time difference away, it is very similar. Also a battery may run out of 'juice' gradually though should not potentially wreck the machine. And the time difference is not dramatic.

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Well my point was the time difference. If it were me, I would expect Apple to do something for a 1 yo machine but I wouldn't be upset if that happened to a 3 yo machine.

8. mactechy macrumors member

Oh, ok then. Is it allready and old piece of crap by then(3 yrs). And then charge 250 NZ$ for a new battery. Sounds like a cheapish money making scheme.
    My apology for going on and on though it reflects my disapointment with Apple.:D