Swollen Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dastinger, Mar 2, 2013.

1. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Hey guys,

Yesterday I noticed that the trackpad on my 15" rMBP was a bit harder to press on the left side and, right below that area, the bottom cover was coming out a bit (between the screws like it is bending). I immediately thought about a swollen battery and I want to take it for repair but, I wanted to make sure that the battery was really swollen. Do I lose warranty by only opening up the MBP? And, is this case covered by warranty?

TIA

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the battery is swelling, then that's not normal. I'd not try to fix it yourself but rather contact apple for repair.

3. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

That's my point. There isn't any Apple Retail Store where I can take my MBP to a Genius appointment. I'll have to take it to the store where I bought it, they will send it to another city and then I wait 15-20 days for it to get back. My main concern is if the battery isn't swelling and I don't have it for 20 days for nothing.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Think you are wrong on this, these batteries do seem to swell when on their way out as a precaution of further damage like an explosion.

There are plenty of stories about this, people just ignore to renew the batteries when the the OS warns of replacing the battery.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have to disagree that its normal for the MBP battery to swell and deform the MBP. I've never had this happen, in all the years of owning a laptop and from what I've read apple will repair the laptop because swelling batteries is not part of normal wear and tear

6. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Lol, what? You're saying that the battery will swell because he/she didn't listen to the computer, and that it will damage itself because of it. Makes complete sense…

----------

Yeah, some bad advice is being thrown around here. I agree that swollen batteries are not normal.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

If it looks like the something is causing the bottom cover to deform, I would open the case to take a look, you won't void your warranty just by opening the bottom cover. If the battery does look like it is swollen, stop using it immediately and call Apple, as it is still under warranty. Defective batteries can be a fire risk.

8. dastinger, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks a lot, James! Now it's time to find a pentalobe screwdriver.

--EDIT--

Thanks a lot to everyone else as well. I refreshed Tapatalk and just read James reply don't know why.

As for the swelling being normal.. That can't be true. Plus, the OS did not tell me anything about the battery. In fact, it tells me that it's still in good condition with almost 200 cycles.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The system will warn you if it is time for you to replace the battery, if you ignore this for too long the battery can swell, it's a fact.

If the cycles are that low the battery is defective and you should bring it in for repair, I am not accusing you personally but some people just ignore it which, in a way, I can understand sice a new battery isn't that cheap.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

That's true at the end of a battery's life with extreme usage, but it shouldn't be happening on any rMBP. They were just released last July.

11. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Exactly

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I should have mentioned this, I agree.