Swollen Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wiggoney1, Jul 9, 2015.

1. wiggoney1 macrumors newbie

The trackpad on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro doesn't click. A quick Google suggested that the culprit is a swollen battery. I removed it and, sure enough, it is swollen. Moreover, while it was removed, the trackpad clicked normally. I took it to the Apple Store at Flatiron Crossing where Justin told me that this was normal and I would have to pay $135 for a new battery. WHAT? NORMAL? How can an obvious manufacturing defect be normal? Is this Apple's official response to this issue? If so, it is FRAUD and calls for immediate legal action. I'm thinking class action.

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

When battery becomes exhausted (from many cycles, over exposure to heat or cold, frequent complete discharge/charge cycles), it will swell, but battery shouldn't be that bad after 2-3 years IMO. Pay for the battery or try claiming that an early failure occured and it is not justifiable to pay for the replacement because you clearly got a dud.

3. dwfaust, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015

dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Where is the manufacturing defect? The battery, which is approaching 4 years old is swollen. Because it's swollen, it's pushing the trackpad out of position, which, in turn, causes the trackpad to not function. You removed the battery and the trackpad now works AS INTENDED. The issue is obviously the swollen battery. As Keith said, batteries fail. Even with AppleCare, the battery would only be covered for 3 years, max. Just buy a replacement battery and stop trying to blame Apple.

#ageofentitlement

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Do you have AppleCare? Are you still within the warranty period? If so, you're probably covered.

Chill out. If you're in warranty, you're good, if you're not then you're out $135. Not a big deal.

5. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

In addition to Applecare (which I assume you do no have), consumer protection laws and regulations guarantee a warranty period - the manufacturer is liable to repair/replace any defects identified during the specified period. The period is typically 1-2 years for personal electronics (varies by jurisdiction).

The moral of the story, however, is that all electronic devices will fail eventually...it's just a matter of time!

6. W123a macrumors newbie

Batteries are CONSUMABLE. Do you take your car back to the dealer with the same ****** attitude when the tires wear out and you can't brake or handle as well anymore?

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Its not unknown for an end-of-life battery of this technology. It certainly isn't fraud or the basis for a class action.

8. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Three years old, not over four. You're a year ahead of yourself.

Whilst the OP has not told us the number of cycles (which will have a bearing) a Macbook battery only lasting three years is certainly on the outliers of typical lifespan. It's reasonable for the OP to feel aggrieved.

9. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

Applecare doesn't cover batteries I was told when I tried getting a new one just before mine ended.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

11. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Might not even be that old, my mid 2012 rMBP is only 2 1/2 years old.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

LiPo batteries often swell at the end of their life. Although not all of them do, it's pretty common. So, it is, in fact, normal, and definitely not a manufacturing defect.

It's not fraud (I'm not sure you actually know what the word means if you're using it that way), nor does it call for legal action of any kind.

Get off your high horse for a moment and dispose of the battery, a swollen battery can be a fire hazard.

13. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Fair enough. I misread the date. Regardless, the battery is approaching EOL, and if the Mac is out of warranty, so is the battery.

14. Idefix macrumors 6502

Good old Flatirons Crossing--you might have had better luck taking it to Boulder 29th Street Mall or Cherry Creek, but probably not. Apple has had years upon years of experience in denying swollen battery claims.

Just this week, I took 2 swollen macbook batteries to the 29th Street Mall. One Apple Geek didn't even know that Apple recycles swollen batteries! Always best to sweep these sorts of issues under the Apple carpet, right

Anyway, here's a reputable $99 replacement battery from Newertech for a 15" MBP mid-2012 (you didn't mention what size MBP???)

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAP15MBU78W/

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It clearly says batteries are covered on the AppleCare page.

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Correct.. That was added not too long ago by Apple, and some still are not aware of this.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Man that`s the deal, the battery is not going to last forever, it`s a consumable item, like the tyres on a car. Too many variables 3-5 for a battery max, and much depends on how you manage the battery.

Q-6

18. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

Well damn the guy lied to me then when I took it in!! Oh well now I know for next time.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's worth going in and talking to a manager. They might comp you in iTunes credit for the difference.