Swollen macbook battery, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBH928, May 21, 2014.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

I have macbook '08 which I got in '09. The battery is slightly swollen, should I be worried? I do not want it to explode in my face.

Should I buy a new battery? I plan to change this laptop within the next 6-9 months so I am not sure if I should invest more into it. I believe Apple batteries are $100 or so...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should replace your battery as soon as possible, to avoid it swelling to the point that it damages your MacBook. It's not likely to explode, but it can damage your Mac.

3. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Does your trackpad have a physical button (non unibody) and removable battery or no button and a not easily replaceable battery (unibody)?

Obviously everyone's definitions are different but I've seen many non-unibody MacBooks with slightly swollen batteries. To a degree I'd consider it normal. If I was replacing it in 6-9 months I'd likely not worry about it.

4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68030

MacBH928

I have no physical button, it is a unibody as far as I can remember (got it 5 years ago) and the battery is removable . It has a latch over it battery with the HDD right next to it.

5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've got the same model, and early last year the original Apple battery swelled up, actually it was way before that, I just didn't realize it until I could barely click my trackpad and took the battery out and sat it on a table to see just how bad it was :(

I went with a new battery from OWC/NuPower. The first one didn't last over an hour, but I got a replacement sent and it's been just fine. :cool:

I'd go with an OWC one, or Anker (cheaper). The Anker on Amazon has a year and a half warranty and is only $60. I just went with OWC because I get a lot from them.

6. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68030

MacBH928

now I understand by my trackpad is very hard to click...

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You should definitely buy a new battery. Swollen batteries are no good, and they could explode at any minute.

8. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

Take it to Apple and see if they'll swap it for you. You could make the argument it's a safety issue.

9. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68030

MacBH928

So is it going to explode or is it not going to explode? It is very subtle you have to carefully examine it and feel it to tell.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the chances of your battery exploding are ridiculously remote.

11. UFMatt macrumors member

UFMatt

Had the same issues as some others, trackpad was a @#$%^ to click, and thought something was lodged in there. Took the battery to inspect and voila, noticed it was swollen, ordered a new one (anker) and no looking back since.