Swollen MBP battery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by philgxxd, Jun 2, 2019.

1. philgxxd macrumors regular

philgxxd

So yesterday my 17" pre-unibody MBP didn't want to turn on. I connected it to the power adapter and when it booted finally to the desktop i noticed it was not charging and it advised to replace the battery.
    When i took out the battery you could see that the battery pack in the middle had swollen because it already had lifted up the outer shell.
    I thought of trying to pry it open and succeded this morning with the right tools.
    These are the packs used:
    20190602_100828.jpg 20190602_114747.jpg 20190602_115121.jpg
    There are 6 units in total connected 2x parallel(making 6400mAH) and 3x series (making 10.8V nominal=3x3.6V).
    The outer packs are actually still measuring fine and are not swollen but if i can find cheap enough quality packs i would like to replace them all.
    In my research they seem to be made by Amperex (ATL).
    It seems they are one of the few bigger names as battery manufacturer being others LG chem, Sony, Panasonic.

Looking for lipo 6052103 there are obvious search results which are leading to aliexpress and similiar with prices from 7-12€ per unit.

Did anyone find a good source for quality ones. Maybe even from the original manufacturer ATL or the other big players?

The batteries are measuring 102x50x5mm.

I'm aware that i can buy a replacement one but i rather have some quality one so here in spain i only see the newertech ones for about 90€ without shipping so if i could find for half of that individual packs from a quality brand i would rather do the DIY way.

2. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

Every single battery repack video I’ve seen someone attempt or I’ve done myself has led to functioning batteries,yes but the battery case never fits back together quite right making it hard to get back into the machine (sometimes it won’t fit at all) . Also, I had extra free to me cells to do this with. I did not go spend hard earned money for privilege to break open my battery.

The only situation I’d attempt a DYI cell replacement is if you literally can’t find reproduction batteries because no one makes them anymore as is the reality with clamshells, pismos and earlier portables etc. If someone’s making a to spec repro battery, I’d buy that. It’s a little extra cash up front but I believe you’ll ultimately be happier with the experience vs dealing with a not-quite-right fitting diy battery. The savings up front sounds good but after doing it I think the 30-40 bucks savings is worth the price of a proper battery.

Best of luck to you either way you go.

3. philgxxd thread starter macrumors regular

philgxxd

You're right of course.
    I myself have gone through two rebuilts of Powerbook battery packs now and have opened three of them and i have to say that every one of them was different regarding the adhesive they used to glue the cases together. Some were seperating more easily than others but i agree that neither of them went back together nicely.

This time however with the MBP batterypack it went quite nice. I will show some pictures later so you can judge it by yourselves.

4. philgxxd thread starter macrumors regular

philgxxd

20190603_132019.jpg 20190603_132458.jpg 20190603_131723.jpg

I tried to recreate the process of prying it apart.

No plastic tabs were harmed!

Just be gentle and i hope these pictures guide a little bit for the adventures.

5. Raging Dufus macrumors regular

Raging Dufus

6. philgxxd thread starter macrumors regular

philgxxd

Best prying tool ever! The hammer of Thor!