swtich to mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bubble27, Jan 11, 2008.

1. bubble27 macrumors regular

Dear all

Wanted to know if there are any users out there that just switched to mac cause of the funky OS?

Or do you all need the OS to do work etc.? cause windows doesnt user final cut pro and whatever else is needed in the industry that mac applies?

Basicly is it worth the switch just to use it for general computing?

I study BIT and all my programs can run in both OS'....but i would like to have it just for the OS cause it seems wicked! Havent used it that much though to know...

Advice please?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Huh?

It might be. If you have windows now, and it's working fine for you, there's no reason to have to switch except that you like that "funky" OS.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Me i made the switch because id had enough of windows plus im just starting
    out on the web design road, made the switch full time about a yr ago (but have to use bootcamp at times).As for web browsing its a far nicer experience
    plus you dont have to worry about virus's,spyware etc plus your right its alot
    more funky,but that shouldnt be the one and only reason to switch

4. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

::Watches 85% of MacRumors registered user base walk out the door...::

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, if all apps you used work on a mac, and you have the budget, go ahead. you can always install windows later on it if you need to.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

YES i personally like the look of OS X alot better than windows OS but i also
    stated i was fed up with xp and thought the Mac was a better OS to further
    my career change WHY are so many people on here so quick to jump down
    peoples throats we all have our different reasons in life no matter what it is

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I'm switching because I'm just tired of windows....I've been using it since Win 3.1 back in the day, and OS X offers a LOT in terms of features, stability, efficiency, and no spyware or viruses to speak of. I'm also a Linux user since around '93, so OS X with UNIX at its core is a nice feature for me too.

I think a lot of things came together for me to switch - Apple moving to Intel chips (allowing you to now run Windows occasionally if you really need to), Windows Vista being such a memory hog, windows activation, and me primarily using Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom, which are both available on the Mac as well.

-Bryan

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

While it's true there's many people who switch to Macs for many reasons, I'm sure there's a good number that do it for no other reason than the Mac and PC Guy ads or the Aqua interface or the way the iMac looks.

If that wasn't the case, Apple wouldn't be having the type of hardware growth we're seeing.

Not disagreeing with you at all - I do think "funky OS" is a silly reason to switch, but it doesn't mean a lot of people don't use it anyway :)

9. marcellus001 macrumors newbie

No more PC's for me

I switched from PC to mac a year ago and I'd never buy another PC again. I don't use my iMac for anything sophisticated - just music, video editing, office stuff and picture management.
    When my daughter's PC gives up I'll buy her a mac as well.
    For me, there's no comparison.

10. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

My advice is if your current PC is working fine for you, wait until it packs in and then buy a mac.

11. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I'm not a switcher, since I've been using Macs since 1988. However, as a user of both (thanks to work :p), it amazes me how much people think they have to put up with the crap Windows feeds them. There may come a day - maybe - that Mac sees the malware count that Windows has, but it's unlikely due to the very nature of Unix security.

So, until that fateful day comes where there's a real security threat on Mac, I'll have an advantage over my Windows-using counterparts. There will be no CPU cycles or RAM wasted on real-time malware scans.

12. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I just switched my home computer from windows to Mac because I had enough. The only problem I see now is the day may come that Apple becomes another Microsoft. Who is there to stop them? You really need other options in the computer world.

When I switched it was a very easy move for me. I have only used windows systems all my life and now still use them at work. I am getting ready to switch my laptop to a Mac and run bootcamp on there to cover myself when I travel to get into the server at work.

Very happy new Mac user!!