swtiching iphones from OSX to Windows

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ozzhead, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Ozzhead macrumors member

i have 2 iphones synced to my notebook right now, but maybe selling the notebook. Do i just save some back ups from my phones and send them to my windows computer? Or what exactly do i have todo? The music isnt a problem they both sync from my sever with media.

Thanks

2. PackFan macrumors 6502

PackFan

Blasphemy! Going from OS X to Windows? ;)

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Hmm. Transferring backups would probably work. Truthfully it's too complicated.

4. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Was going to say this. Haha.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Other than the sarcastic answers, I'd also be interested in how you'd go about doing this.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

The backups are stored on Mac OS in:

Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

Move those files onto your Windows drive to the folder at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

In order for the backup to be successful, you'll also have to move your iTunes folder over as well. You may need to consolidate the library before doing this, though.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I suppose there will be no problems with recognizing the iPhone after this (i.e., no messages saying this iPhone is not registered on this computer, or whatever the message says when you try to sync an iPhone on a computer that it wasn't originally synced to).

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

it will probably still erase it and re-sync everything. But it won't matter because you moved everything over already.

9. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Welcome to the pc club.

Why don't you let your pc do the backup on it's own the first time? The data is still on the phone, the pc will back it up, I have done this twice myself.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

No it doesn't. You move all of the iTunes configuration files and the library over, so it won't notice a difference.

11. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I moved the opposite way (moved to OS X) and it really wasn't a problem. I set up iTunes with my proper account information and then just synch'd up the phone, changing settings for things like which playlists to synch, which photos, etc.

PS, as others indicate you are nuckin futz to switch from OS X to Windows, and that's coming from an MCSE who has been using Windows since the 3.1 days.

Windows is a great corporate OS, but a very rotten consumer OS.

12. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

As a previous computer technician ( for 5 years) i have to say, windows XP is hands down the best operating system ever.

I like OS X, but once you learn how to customize ( read: streamline) windows XP, its hard to go back.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm on XP now, but may move at some later date. However, in the meantime, what folders/stuff should I backup to my external backup harddrive, just in case XP was to crash and I couldn't get to my files? Anything else I should do, please let me know. Thanks.

14. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Maybe this will help:

15. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Oh you people are crazy both OSes are fine. Anyone of you tried windows 7 personally?

Tbh it's really nice!

16. tylertech macrumors regular

You can backup on any computer that has iTunes installed. So backups aren't a problem, they both read the same files. Just transfer them over.

17. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I have tried Windows 7 and you'll have to color me not very impressed. It's basically Vista with some much needed improvements and a thick candy coating on the top that rips off most of the good ideas from OS X.

I ordered a Win 7 upgrade so I can run it under Boot Camp on my Mac. I use Windows for gaming now, and very little else.

18. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

That's part of the problem with XP, your stuff is probably spread out all over the place.

At a minimum you need to back up your entire documents folder, including your photos and music, and videos and other stuff.

19. Ozzhead thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I do like OSX alot better then windows but i maybe in need of selling my macbook "witch is worth alot more the windows machine" due to my financial reasons. And i like my iphone more then my notebook :)

20. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

LOL!

Being a long-time XP user (not by choice), I have to say Windows XP is hands down the most aggravating element (by far) of my life.

YMMV.

21. MasterTick macrumors 6502

You're obviously using XP for different reasons than he is.

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

LMAO :D

23. ajnittoli macrumors member

.....windows isnt good i just made the switch to my macbook pro 15 inch and i couldnt be happier =]

24. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Way to be open minded! You could at least say "I hate Windows."

BTW, I hate Windows too. The only good feature I found in Win7 is the window management. Was that in Vista too? I only used Vista like twice. I wonder why...

I must say, Vista is/was a disaster. Absolutely horrendous. When I was forced to trade my 2006 MBP with my brother's Vista laptop, I immediately switched to Ubuntu and never looked back.

Sorry OP, for making this go even more off topic.

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Exactly...Let's see, stupid little dog trying to search, or Spotlight instant search?