Swype for iPhone 4 jailbreak app?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bella92108, Aug 21, 2010.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Is there an app for iPhone (jailbreak or non?) that'll allow Swype text entry? I looked at the app store and it looks like there are none official, but are there any out or in development via cydia?

Thanks!

2. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

4. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

So you quote a thread that doesn't answer the question. I did search, which is why I posted. Rather than thread-crap, why don't you reply if you have an answer. A non-credible person saying steve told them they wouldn't be releasing it...

Your link provided no valuable information. I, like others, would love to see a "swype"-like input method on iphone like the new Samsung Galaxy S has. It's becoming increasingly difficult to stay on board withe the apple gadget when every other week a cool new android version and device seems to come out with the great new features... jailbreaking makes a device tolerable, but things only go so far when stacked against an OS that has much of what we jailbreak for (built in wifi tethering, file system management, etc) built in.

5. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

No there is no Swype for the iPhone. App store or Cydia

The closest thing you can get to it is ShapeWriter in the app store, but of course, it is not integrated with Apples SMS application. It's a stand alone app that makes you copy and paste the text you wrote. Which is pretty much a huge hassle.

The makers of Swype want to bring it to the iPhone, but they will not be able to integrate it with the SMS application. So it will also be a standalone app if it goes through, which will be a major disappointment.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

still no reason to trash the forums with repeated thread, just ask your question on the existing thread..

7. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bummer... I feel like day by day the iPhone loses a little more of it's cool factor. The last 2 weeks I've been in Thailand, Hong Kong, Manila, and Beijing, and wherever I go the knockoffs and competition (mainly Android) keeps getting cool new handsets, even a Galaxy S next to an iPhone blows the amazing iPhone 4 screen out of the water... i feel like Apple isn't doing enough to keep up. The Galaxy's Swype feature is so cool and saves a ton of time. I still am liking the newness of the iPhone 4, but unlike years past, that "coolness" of the new toy will not last 3 or even 6 months. :-(

8. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, the last few days I have been quite bored with my iPhone 4 (probably since no apps really interest me at the moment) and I've been taking a look at some of the Android phones. They do look pretty great, but I know that none of them run as smooth as the iPhone.

Apple isn't the most innovative company, but when they do add a new feature, IMO it integrates better then any other phone with the same feature.

But I'll admit, Swype is awesome. A friend of mine has Swype on his phone and I just get envious every time I see it.

9. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

As much of an apple fanboy I am, Samsung's Galaxy S will be a game changer. Apple can either ignore it, or join the fight and fight them for their position back... to date, the android devices have been a big laggy\slow\lacking, but the Galaxy S I was playing with today was amazing. Everything about it was like they designed it to address the frustrations we discuss regarding iPhone...

Apple's only-game-in-town mentality has to go since there's a viable alternative in android now. I hope they innovate some more, otherwise they'll lose their golden goose egg in the marketplace.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Swype is pretty incredible. I've generally been displeased with spaces and capitalization for most uses.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I had a buddy show me swype on his droidx and I thought it was pretty cool. Would love to give it a try on the iPhone if someone develops it.

12. bripab007 macrumors 6502

13. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

yep I use Shapewriter, (http://www.shapewriter.com/iphone.html) its a "standalone" app, meaning you wont be able to use it in the Iphone's native SMS, Safari environment, or even on your iDevice's native email keyboard. but it does have a very seamless and quick way of integrating (copy and pasting) to your email (mail) app. Enjoy

14. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

He's not looking for a app that makes you do 4 different things just to copy and paste your message.

15. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Saves a lot of time? Remember that commercial where swype broke the texting record? Do you know why it was taken off? The record was rebroken...on an iPhone..

iPhone input > Swype

16. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

If Swype will never be approved with Apple's built in SMS, couldn't it just be integrated into BiteSMS or iRealSMS?

17. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

18. jfulcher macrumors regular

He didn't really beat it.

For the official Guinness record to be broken they come up with a random phrase (same number of characters) to type and you see it right before they click go. That guy just memorized the message and practiced it enough to beat the time. There are people that have done the same and beat his 25 seconds.

19. Pactum macrumors newbie

20. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wynd did release swype like tweak on Cydia few days back.