Swype Keyboard

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Spidious, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Spidious macrumors newbie

I wonder if they will ever let this keyboard on the iPhone. I had it on my Android and loved it. Even if I had to pay for it on the ITunes it would be worth it.

Any heads up out there ? I really do not want to jailbreak it, if it is even going to be offered on the 7 version

2. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

The problem with Swype is that there's NO PROBLEM with Swype. LOL

I've been using it since it's introduction. Each rev gets better and better. The speed at which one can enter words is simply amazing. Not to mention that it does away with striking the glass like it's physical keyboard.

Only recently did I decide to try SwiftKey on my S4, and it too is just fantastic. Same principle, but so far it's better at learning how I structure my writing, therefore the accuracy is greater.

Why have it on an iPhone? Because it would make the iPhone just that much better.

Why not? Because Apple can't brag they created the "Magic"

ha...ha..ha..ha... :D

4. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

It isn't about Apple not getting bragging rights. It's about third-party apps being too unreliable for major components of an OS like keyboards.

I too used SwiftKey & Swype on Android for a while and I'm a fan. But I actually *like* (more than I dislike, anyway) that Apple is so strict on certain parameters of an OS.

That's not to say I wouldn't like them to shell out some $$$ to these companies to license and use their technology much in the same way they did for Siri. It's a feature-rich option that many users might actually prefer if given time to adapt.

5. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Google has their own gesture typing (not Swype or SwiftKey) on it's stock Android 4.2 keyboard. No reason why Apple can't make their own too.

6. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I can see Apple implementing swype or swift key to iOS at some point. And at the same time saying how they made it so much better, and taking credit for that also lol!

7. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

8. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Give me a recent time when Apple said they invented something they didn't and it has to be them saying they invented it too.

Most of the time you hear revolutionary. The iPhone, iPad etc are revolutionary so don't give me that.

9. ok.Eric macrumors member

I can get why Apple hasn't implemented it into the OS, but I don't get why a jailbreak tweak hasn't come out yet that adds Swype. I know there's the Chinese version of it, but I'm surprised there isn't a well polished English version.

10. g35 macrumors 6502a

He/she said "made it so much better," not "invented." One such example would be with multitasking. Or video calling. Or messaging.

11. jdogg836 macrumors regular

jdogg836

I'd like interchangeable keyboards in iOS, but only if it doesn't affect the polish and smooth nature of the OS. I don't want a performance hit to be able to use it.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

13. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

14. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Thing is, that's every company. If they truly believe they outdid competition, why wouldn't they say so? It's subjective and refutable, yes. But messaging is pretty damn solid with iMessage and SMS integration. And multi tasking in iOS 7 will be pretty great if it holds true to what they demoed once GM hits. Point is, if a company wants to say they did something better than the competion, let them.

15. fraggot macrumors 6502

Don't want, I've used it and can still type faster on my keyboard. Seems like a gimmick

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I've used it and didn't like how my finger covered up letters close to each other making it hard to see the characters. I find using several fingers on the same hand to be a very quick way to type.

17. iCarabma macrumors 6502

Whenever you are wondering if Apple will bring something to the iPhone, the question is not wether or not YOU would use it.

YOU are an outlier. YOU are tech savvy, the kind of person who post about alternative keyboard entry systems on mobile.

A better question is would your parents like it. Apple casts the widest net possible and that means sometimes choosing simplicity over a program that some power users might like, but would baffle most people.

Android is the opposite. They try and throw everything in there and result is a clusterbomb of usefull things that appeal to a few people and crazy stuff like waving over your phone. And it makes the whole phone more difficult to use (not for YOU, you could figure it out. For normal people).

My point is, don't hold your breathe.

18. maxosx macrumors 68020

I give Apple a lot of credit for convincing people that only they know how to create reliable hardware and software. It's one of the cornerstones of Apple's success. It also proves how a strong marketing program can convince people of anything. When the reality is Apple is just another tech company. But through the genius of Steve Jobs smoke and mirrors presentations and promotion of Apple as a magical company, people actually believe it. No wonder Tim Cook has got his hands full.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Probably because it's not all smoke and mirrors, even though they certainly play their part.

20. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

It really isn't "convincing" people of anything though. I used Swype on Android, I also used Swift Key. 90% of the time it is error-free and works great. But sometimes such as inputing text on forms - name, address, etc. it became a burden to turn off the Swype in order to select individual keystrokes. Sometimes it would crash. Other times it wouldn't bring up the keyboard at all.

21. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

It's not that 3rd parties can't make good keyboards, some could and would, such as Swype. But with the good, comes the retro color explosion keyboard made by 12 year old Tai Cho or the my little pony keyboard made by Mary Clark. With the good always comes the bad. And most likely those two keyboards will be top 5 and will become a support nightmare for Apple.

22. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

But the reality is, all of these "normal" people using Android love gesture typing and that is one of the main holdouts for many of them for not getting an iPhone. I have "normal" friends that feel Android is too complicated and would like to get an iPhone, except they go "You mean I have to tap each letter individually instead of swiping?? Nevermind, I'll just stick with Android."

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't think Apple will ever offer Swype unless they can re-engineer it.

Swype takes up to 25MB of RAM and uses too much cpu power for being a input method which in turn drains battery when being used. Don't believe me? Google it.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Granted I've never used Swype, but can someone explain how swiping is faster than tapping? It seems to me that it would take more effort to swipe, especially if your next letter is far away from the previous one, like from "a" to "p".