Swype vs. Swiftkey? What's your choice and why?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dagdagdag234, Sep 18, 2014.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Most people on here seem to prefer Swiftkey. Was wondering why.

Swype has the option of using a (dark) keyboard that has the numbers on the same screen -- that you can access with a long-press. That was the deal-breaker for me. One less button to push.

It seems some people think SWitftkey predicts words better, but since I was a little creeped out by signing into Swiftkey cloud, I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Also, would anyone know if Swype is as effective as using SWiftkey if you don't know into Swiftkey cloud?

To be honest, I'm kind of having fun playing with both keyboards (along with Apple's and Fleksy) but not that I'm down to Swype vs. Swiftkey the differences seem pretty subtle.

2. CrzyP macrumors regular

I haven't tried Swype, but I'm liking SwiftKey so far. Sounds like they'll be updating it with more features in the future.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Neither. No access to dictation is a deal breaker for me.

4. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

One option would be to read the mutitude of threads that have gone over this many times already.

5. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

I searched and saw no threads. But thanks for the passive aggressiveness.

6. acejunker macrumors newbie

Is swiftkey free or do they also have a paid version??

7. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Shaqq macrumors regular

Shaqq

Minuum is a very good keyboard also and its very accurate.

9. firedoug macrumors newbie

Most of use that have experience in this subject have spent some time slumming on Android. So based on my slumming I can make a personal choice but my priorities my not match yours. This really comes down to a Ford vs. Chevy kinda of thing.

I can share a few of my experiences:

First both Swype & Swiftkey work much better on Android phones.... some of this my be the larger screen. Slide typing for me is harder on the 4" screen of the iPhone. This my get better with the larger iPhone 6.

Second the iPhone versions of both of the keyboards have been limited by Apple protocols.

Third this are both 1st gen for iPhone... I am betting they will get better with time.

Forth I am bummed that neither of these have dictation mic key. Android counterparts have that available.

Based on my first 2 days of use I am using Swiftkey right now and removed Swype.

Give yourself some time to get used to using swipe typing, once you master you will wonder how you ever lived with out it.

Regards

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am sorry if you think I am dumb but why do they need Swiftkey/Swype when iOS 8 already has built in? Did I miss some features? :apple:

11. Minarets macrumors 6502

Ios8 has what? Swype motion in the stock keyboard?

12. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Its easy, swype doesn't have access to anything in phone via "enable full access" setting, and even though swiftkey can be turned off, major functionality is turned off too, so swype for me because I am paranoid

13. gorenut macrumors member

Try Swiftkey first since its free right now. Personally Swype is my preferred keyboard and to be honest I was about to jump back to Android for Swype alone. I might be biased since I was a beta tester for Swype way back before Nuance bought them out.. but Swype just does gesture typing better for me than Swiftkey. My girlfriend on the other hand prefers Swiftkey because even though she does gesture typing too, she still taps a little more than gesturing. Once you master Swype, its not unheard of to be typing 50+ WPM.

----------

It does? I initially thought so too but when I first upgraded I found nothing. I had to download both Swype and Swiftkey.

14. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

But it seems like you can tap on Swype too, if you need a break from swyping

15. gorenut macrumors member

You definitely can and since Nuance bought them out.. the predictive text for tapping has gotten a lot better. So for me, personally, I see no reason to even use Swiftkey unless the gesture works better for you. I have nasty fat thumbs and Swype seems to know that.

16. mastercheif91 macrumors regular

Been using both extensively since they came out. I've come to much prefer Swype. Not only is the swiping action more accurate and less laggy than SwiftKey, but one of my favorite features has been the delete button actually. In Swype, when you type a word that ends up being incorrect and the autocomplete at the top doesn't suggest the right word either (after you type a word that it knows you may have gotten wrong, it shows 3 options for the word you might have meant in the autocomplete slot. It works really well), when you hit the delete key it deletes the whole word instead of making you delete it letter by letter. You'd be surprised how much time and effort this saves. Another thing I love about Swype is that you can hold down on the button that matches the punctuation button when you switch over to that page and it inserts said punctuation. For example, if you hold down on the "M" button it inserts a question mark.

17. bilxl macrumors newbie

i tried Swiftkey.. for some reason it was loading and typing slowly on my 5s

18. reil macrumors newbie

i chose swype. i basically typed in some paragraphs 4 times with swype and swiftkey using swiping and tap typing. i've found that i personally like swiping more and i find its more accurate in swype. however, when tap typing, swiftkey produced a much better result for me.

19. Fluttershy macrumors regular

Fluttershy

Does the use Facebook or GMail to sign in not bother anyone?

"let swiftkey learn from your writing style from gmail and facebook"

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Probably not since there's a simple skip option to not use any of that.

21. Burllz macrumors newbie