Sycing MacBook Pro and iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kdipaolo, Aug 20, 2012.

1. kdipaolo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an iMac and Macbook pro and I would like to work interchangeably with them, but its hard because I have other files on the imac and other files on my macbook. Do any of you know the best way to sync the two so that there are the same files on each computer?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

While Dropbox is okay for not a lot of data (2 GB with the free version), you could take a look at CHronoSync if you have more than 2 GB of data you need to get synched.

3. kdipaolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anything that would sync my computer automotically like every hour assuming they are on the same network? In a perfect world it would be awesome to do that automatically. And yes I do have more than 2 gigs.

4. simsaladimbamba

ChronoSync, as mentioned in post #2.

5. stevelam macrumors 65816

well yes dropbox does it automatically. you can pay for more space.

cubby also has limited cloud storage but it actually has unlimited computer-to-computer sync storage.

6. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Doesn't iCloud Documents in the Cloud do this?

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Nope. iCloud only shares documents with a very, very limited number of applications (iWork, Preview) between computers or computers and iOS devices. And those documents can only be easily shared with the same application that created them. Any of the other sharing services/applications works better (besides Dropbox there's also box.net, Sugar Sync, Google Drive, MS SkyDrive, SpiderOak, Amazon Cloud Drive and probably more I'm not thinking of.

You could probably also work from a NAS on your LAN. Or just connect to the other computer and work on the file directly rather than messing with syncs, which can be messy if you happen to work on two different copies of the same file and make changes to each before they are next synced.

8. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

G Drive
    Skydrive
    Dropbox

So many options.