Sydney Apple store delayed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by andrewag, Oct 11, 2007.

1. andrewag macrumors 6502

Apple's Sydney store is not expected to be opened until the second half of 2008 according to this article:
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/apples-sydney-shopfront/2007/10/11/1191696046043.html

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Bad sketch of the finished store available with that article too...

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Somehow, when I read the article this morning I read it as "likely to open before the middle of next year".

What caused the delay of the local Apple temple? Have we not been loyal?

Either way, that is one hard to find parking Apple Store.

4. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

I'm confused as to what makes an Apple Store. I would have thought it was just a shop that only sells Apple products but we already have those in Melbourne. Is this new one just going to be bigger and fancier?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Unlike third-party retailers, Apple Stores are owned and operated by Apple, usually have a distinctive design ethos and a number of features (e.g. Genius Bars) that mark them out. They also tend to be the first stores that get stock of new products.

Once you've been in one, the difference is obvious.

Here's some images of the one in central London.

6. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

:) Thanks

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Given its the first store in the Southern Hemisphere, and Steve seems to be a Sydney fan with things like the Bondi blue iMac and the Sydney Harbour Bridge appearing in previous keynotes, I hope for a big opening.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It would be nice for something big in Aus. We're treated like lepers down here! Hopefully this will inject some pride into Apple Australia. The location isn't too bad given the proximity to Town Hall and the Pitt Street Mall. I was half expecting them to go with that new Fraser's construction on George Street right next to the Cinemas which has a retail presence at street level.

I'm going to be somewhat pessimistic (and unpopular) and bet on the store opening coinciding with the local iPhone release (but it's release will be announced earlier).

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If its the 3G model I think that would work nicely.