Sydney Apple Store opened!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doobi18, Jun 19, 2008.

1. doobi18 macrumors 6502

just thought it was big news to share that I am currently standing in new Sydney Apple Store after waiting about 1.5 hrs in line!

I walked up and thought there was just a little line to join, but behold it went for about 800m over two blocks. Plenty of other companies giving away free stuff (so kept well hydrated, chocated, etc!). Rain started coming down, and in true style Apple dispatched nice big black golf umbrellas with apple logos.

When we finally git to the front, we were cheered in by a team of store-folk and, well, the design was amazing. Every last detail was perfect.

More to come!

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah it was pretty good. I was 42. Spent 25 or so minutes in the store and then headed off.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Anyone else think the store design is getting tired and old? The same old glass fronts, metal walls and boring tables.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Classy you mean? ;)

I think they work well. Functional and light. I really can't think of a nicer alternative.

5. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

You guys think the lines will be gone tomorrow. If so, I'll make a visit.

6. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyway, SO many Apple staff. Like overflowing. And all very friendly. And honest too, one salesman telling a guy next to me that the Monster cables didn't really have that much on the $5 DSE variety. They seemed to be very knowlegable about their given areas (I came very close to buying a pair of nice Shure SE110s but I decided to wait for a friend who works at JB & can get them cheap). I also really like the idea of not having checkouts, instead having each salesman able to transact on the spot.

On the top level (Genius Bar) I found an old school friend working in a blue t-shirt, which was fun, an he was extremely helpful too, and assured me that they would do their best to fix a problem with my MacBook, even though now out of warranty (complicated story there..)

Well I hope my account was of interest to someone, I thought it was a great experience and glad I made the trip.

.Doobs.

Also...

Well personally I've never seen one before!

I would assume so, but the line & opening-day atmosphere all part of the experience!

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It's still a dam sight better than the Hilton's new design in Sydney ;)

And for the record the store looks awesome, although I was tempted to polish the finger marks off the polished metal on the wall (call it my aspergers coming out...).

8. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

A fine Scottish handshake to neiltc13.

Hey Oz, enjoy the experience.

From a fellow colonial.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can you give us an example of another company with a better design for displaying computers and peripherals? I like Bang and Olufsen's store, but there's so few of them, and they're so small that it's easy to pull off "that look".

10. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

I'll be visiting the store next Saturday. I made plans to be there for the opening (was planning to camp out and everything) but misread the announcement - I thought it was opening July 19th and didn't learn the truth until the night before. :(

Now, bring on the Melbourne Apple store!!

11. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Wawawawawait. You've got one, now it's time for mainland Europe. Get the Amsterdam store rolling please! :p

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I wouldn't go to one in Amsterdam in case there all stoned :D