Sydney, Australia RAM & HD deals?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eclipse, Sep 3, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Anyone know any of the cheap RAM and 1TB hard drive deals for downunder?

Anyone got an idea when Mac are going to realise this whole expensive RAM thing is getting a bit tired, even with us fans? :apple::confused:

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Thanks for that. I hardly know where to start in terms of what 3rd party RAM and Hard-drives to order, and I've heard some here say they'd install the RAM themselves but not a hard drive. So I guess I'm after a store in Sydney that might offer a bit of an install service as part of the purchase price. I'm a bit of a coward. :eek:

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

www.itestate.com.au is also a good place. Dunno about the shipping though. If you're in the city you should head upstairs in Capital Square, Haymarket. The entire floor is pretty much cheap computer shops.

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

what type of mac have you got?

if you have a macbook the hdd/ram upgrade is EASY!

6. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

It's for our 'hypothetical' Mac pro tower that we haven't bought yet. :D

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

is this wiki to find the best store whether it be online or local.

8. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

What brand do I need of the above RAM? I've heard the Mac variety needs a special heat thingymejig that the same RAM for PC might not have?:confused: :eek: :(

This page has 2 gig sticks at 800 MHz for $70 Australian.

(Anyone in the Mac Kingdom listening? This is what your loyal subjects have come to... we scrounge like "hunter gatherers" begging for "RAM food" just like the enemy! We used to belong to a kingdom where everything we needed was in the one store, just one phone call away. Now, we hunt and scavenge. Please, restore your great kingdom by lowering these harsh taxes on our very food!)

9. pog5150 macrumors newbie

If you want Mac Pro Memory you can get certified RAM kits from www.macsales.com for a fraction of the price. I have upgraded two of my macpro's 8 core towers to 10GB each for under $1000 in total. The shipping is quick too, I recall it took only two days for the memory to arrive.

10. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

So are these the hard drives I'd use for today's Mac Pro? (After watching the OWC video on how to install RAM & Drives I'm not scared to do it myself any more. :D )

11. pog5150 macrumors newbie

The hard drives and the ram are easy to install, when you get your Mac Pro the user guide actually tells you how to install both components. As you said it very easy to do, just remember to discharge yourself whenever you are touching components. Also take note with the ram installation there is a specific order to install them.

I would suggest get the ram from the macsales and for Hard drives, seagate, western digital SATA-2 drives from anywhere cheap in Australia. I grabbed a 1TB Seagate 32mb cache drive the other day for $180.

Also take note when replacing existing hard drives take it easy when pulling out the bays as they are quite snugg.:cool:

12. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef