Sydney hotel - Darling Harbour vs Potts Point

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, May 31, 2015.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm going to Sydney in a few months and trying to pick a hotel to stay in. I prefer to stick with the IHG chain, since I'm a platinum member and whatnot, and having a few thousand rewards points across multiple hotel chains does me no good.

Anyways, that leaves two Holiday Inn hotels, which are fine with me. I never go luxurious when it comes to hotels. One is in Potts Point/Kings Cross, and one in Darling Harbour. I'm trying to figure out which area is better. The one in DH is roughly $300 USD more (at today's exchange rates) for the length of my stay. I've read that DH is a nicer area, and Kings Cross can be a bit sketchy, but is it bad enough to warrant the extra $300 to stay at DH? Both hotels are about equal amenity-wise and are both close to public transportation so it seems as if the only difference is the neighborhood they're in. Thanks!
  2. mgmacius macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2008
    Kings cross is a red light district - it is NOT awful or dangerous, but...
    I've been there for like four or five days and it took me three to realise ;-)
    From now on my favorite hotel is Y Hotel in Hyde Park - no reward points I am aware of, it is charity owned (YWCA), and so some of your money goes for a good cause. Good enough quality, closer to the city than KC, but not as close as DH. And for sure way cheaper ;-)