Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Tried searching for McDonalds which is like... a mile from me and I cant see to even search for any food places. There is no POI search for food in this thing???

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Tried searching for McDonalds which is like... a mile from me and I cant see to even search for any food places. There is no POI search for food in this thing???

I can't even find individual stores... or even wal-mart.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
ugh ya its pretty bad... Restaurants isnt even a list on my POIs even when I turn it on...

Really doesnt have much of any POI search or list... pretty bad.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
There have been a lot of posts here about the POI search and not being able to find the most basic things.

wowipod

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
Well in my area it has all the 'malls' (shopping centres) and stuff like that. Who needs maccas on there anyway there is enough signage for those places. If every maccas was on there you wouldn't be able to see the road.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Well in my area it has all the 'malls' (shopping centres) and stuff like that. Who needs maccas on there anyway there is enough signage for those places. If every maccas was on there you wouldn't be able to see the road.

You dont have to display them...

TypeEE

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009

Have you even use other GPSs? Every other GPSs have mcdonalds. Okay, let's say it's not mcdonalds, I need Homedepot, menards.

This GPS's POI is laughable, it's lack of POI and it's slow.

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Yes, the ones you need when traveling are not found, restaurants, lodging, and gas stations. I complained and got my money back....

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
But don't you agree they are not required? There is always plenty of signs to McDonalds they make themselves known.

That is the dumbest comment I have ever read on MacRumors. Honestly... wow.

Cescfabregas4

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
You guys are right, you cant search for a particular store, you have to use the categories provided or type in the stores address. Very stupid. I am now using navigon....its almost perfect and you can search virtually every business available.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
You guys are right, you cant search for a particular store, you have to use the categories provided or type in the stores address. Very stupid. I am now using navigon....its almost perfect and you can search virtually every business available.

Wow. Navigon must really have much more in the iPhone application than the hardware GPS receivers. The hardware models only have restaurants, service stations/fuel and lodging. Nothing else.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Wow. Navigon must really have much more in the iPhone application than the hardware GPS receivers. The hardware models only have restaurants, service stations/fuel and lodging. Nothing else.

It's got tons (At least in the DC area) including ATM's , Chain Stores (Home depot, Best Buy etc), small business (had my favorite repair shop), metro stations etc. Check out the lite version for yourself.

Cescfabregas4

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009

It sure does. It has all the major chains plus some smaller shops. Around me its showing--- schools, post office, library,college,parks,resturants (including non chain resturants,department stores etc

wowipod

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
Have you even use other GPSs? Every other GPSs have mcdonalds. Okay, let's say it's not mcdonalds, I need Homedepot, menards.

This GPS's POI is laughable, it's lack of POI and it's slow.

Ok fair enough I see what you mean now looking for individual stores, it has a few but not as many as I would like.

That is the dumbest comment I have ever read on MacRumors. Honestly... wow.

Really, you don't go on macrumors much then do you.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Bottom line is, yes, it leaves much to be improved upon. I've recently switched from G-Map, due to their lagging on that latest update and I'm not regretting much.

I'd like to see more/better POI adaptation and text to speech for street names. However, better POI is the most needed feature.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
What does everyone think about the lag with this app?

There are times when it is 2-3 blocks behind in showing where I am and then suddenly it jumps ahead of where I am. I know it's missing something that keep real GPS units from doing the same but I can't think of what it's called. Error correction or something like that.

Then there are the street names appearing and disappearing every few seconds. It's a nice app and hopefully with an update or two it will be excellent. Still need a Garmin or another GPS for any kind of extended road trip.

TypeEE

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
This software is just a piece of crap.

I was using it to go to a museum yesterday:
1) POI doesn't show the museum <- fine, I know it has next to no POI
2) I search on google map for the address and google map gave me an address that doesn't have street number but an intersection of two street, like : XXX street and YYY Road, Chicago, IL, Sygic doesn't have the feature to enter an intersection. (My old Mio GPS can)
3) There is no copy and paste so I have to remember the address from google map and key it in
4) While I am playing music, as soon as the sygic prompt for a turn, it turn off my music and would not resume my music.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
This software is just a piece of crap.

I was using it to go to a museum yesterday:
1) POI doesn't show the museum <- fine, I know it has next to no POI
2) I search on google map for the address and google map gave me an address that doesn't have street number but an intersection of two street, like : XXX street and YYY Road, Chicago, IL, Sygic doesn't have the feature to enter an intersection. (My old Mio GPS can)
3) There is no copy and paste so I have to remember the address from google map and key it in
4) While I am playing music, as soon as the sygic prompt for a turn, it turn off my music and would not resume my music.

1-3) Main menu > Browse map > find intersection and tap it > tap the symbol below and choose to "Navigate there". Done.

4) Update to the latest version. (you should have been prompted through iTunes)

Your owner's manual.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
1-3) Main menu > Browse map > find intersection and tap it > tap the symbol below and choose to "Navigate there". Done.

4) Update to the latest version. (you should have been prompted through iTunes)

Your owner's manual.

That involves too much work. Having to scroll and then zoom and then scroll some more to find your place is just too much. On my Garmin, I just have to enter the two intersections.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Their description on iTunes mentions calling a restaurant to make reservation...so WTH doesn't the new version have restaurants as a POI category?

Color me confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.