Sygic Navigator Updated

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by MadGoat, Jul 16, 2009.

1. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I hope this is a worthy update

Includes 12 million new POI
    louder voice
    wont interrupt music
    GPS Signal information improved

2. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

Can't get much worse based on what I've read.

3. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Hopefully this fixes allot of lag. This app has allot of it. I mean there are times when it it two or three blocks behind and it takes 10 seconds to realize I've turned a corner.

Also, I've noticed a huge difference between this and my Garmin. My Garmin never jumps ahead or way back, it is constantly correct in showing where I am. I can't think of the name of what GPS units have that obviously these GPS apps are missing but I wish they could code it in. Plus the street names flashing on and off bug me too. This whole app is just too inconsistent.

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

this is going to take forever to download on my phone at work lol...

6. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

on a side note... if the POIs are fixed, this is going to be one heck of a product.

7. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

Initial thoughts (I updated this morning and tried it driving to work):

-POI database seems to have been upgraded: yesterday, my place of employment (a major hospital in Chicago) wasn't in the database. Today, it was.

-Voice volume appears to be even higher. Personally, I don't think this was one of the priority areas that needed fixing. The voice volume was actually one of the few strong points of the app.

-I didn't see any problems with lagging. It kept up with my turns fairly well.

-Recalculation took about 3 seconds.

-Still no text to speech. BUT at least they DISPLAY the name of the next road you turn onto -- when you get within ~2 miles of it however. Not a great fix, but definitely better than before where it was a complete safety hazard.

-Route choice/calculations still seem way off. Bizarre AI. The routes it chose this morning were not only way out of the way I usually would go, but they're also different from the routes chosen by AT&T Navigator/Telenav, Gokivo, G-Map, and Google Maps.

-There IS iPod integration. You can play your music now while navigating. There's just one slight problem: the music doesn't fade or stop when voice instructions are given. :groans. As far as I can tell anyway...if there's a control setting for this, I missed it in the always unintuitive menu system.
    So you better not play your Slayer or Pantera if you hope to hear the voice prompts---this might be the one case where it's preferable to use "Lucien" the aggressive, obnoxious American male voice.

Still playing around with the new update. Again, I'll have to investigate if there's a way to actually pause or dim the music when voice prompts are given.

Overall, it's about on par with the current version of G-Map. Neither one is a great app and both still have a "beta" feel to them, but they ARE getting better.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Tunnelrunner

very nice review thank you for the time and effort!