Sygic (Tele Atlas) GPS Nav System

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by digbyp, Jun 25, 2009.

1. digbyp macrumors regular

Another one has arrived. For Europe, £59.99 ($99.99) and 1.9GB download.

Seems to include Postcode Search and Safety Cameras. All maps included
    The package includes the latest maps from Tele Atlas, the leading map provider. There are no monthly fees or hidden charges.

Attached Files:

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I wish they'd release Tomtom for US as well, European TBT apps are coming in so fast, while that AT&T and Goki(something) app aren't really interesting imo.

3. HBK Carl macrumors member

HBK Carl

4. aerospace macrumors 6502a

How on earth am I supposed to find where I'm going in that mess of information.

Gimme the road I'm on, speed I'm going, distance or time to next turn, what else do you need?

5. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I agree. That is a lot of information on there. I wonder if there is a setting to disable the majority of it

6. Macjames macrumors 6502a

It says there are 4 spaces free to choose to put ten options in, wether or not you choose nothing remains to be seen. It also says on their website North America coming soon for you US people :)

I would have picked this up right away is i wasn't afraid of hefty roaming charges when using this outside of the UK.

7. manorpark macrumors member

mac

If this works from the GPS and not the 3g, why would you incur roaming charges ?

Or am I missing something ?

MP

8. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I just assumed (probably incorrectly) that it would use a small amount of data, not as much as google maps since it doesn't need to download the actual maps and thus need the roaming data and locational services turned on. I also assumed it used the assisted fix method where it uses the cellar network to triangulate the position with the GPS.

9. manorpark macrumors member

mac

Maybe you are right ?

I assumed the reason for the large download was it was all stored on the phone and just used the GPS like Tom Tom etc.

Maybe someone can confirm please.

MP

10. Macjames macrumors 6502a

As far as i understand there's GPS the free one and A-GPS (Assisted) that uses the mobile network along side the GPS to get a lock on your location quicker. I'm wondering if the iPhone ones have the option to turn it off and just use the GPS chip or if they use it at all?

Dont mind my yorkshireman paranoia of been charged extra! :rolleyes:

11. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

12. Macjames macrumors 6502a

The US ones are coming soon (the website says so anyway) but I'm guessing if AT&T have one out in the store then they will have some kind of head start agreement?

13. diesel macrumors 6502a

Most likely some kind of arrangement between apple and AT&T to give AT&T a "head start". Not that it will matter in the long run, cause most likely anyone with half a brain would opt for a non data connection based navigation system as opposed to the one by AT&T that requires a data connection to pull in maps.

14. NightStorm macrumors 68000

As long as you can customize what is displayed on the screen, this looks like a pretty decent navigation package. I'll consider the U.S. version if it comes out before TomTom/Navigon. Hopefully we see an in-depth review soon!

15. Marky macrumors regular

I'm guessing that as most of these sat nav companies are 'European' companies they are simply ready with software quicker for their respective home/near to home countries first. In each case I beleive they are on record as saying US versions are coming.

A number of Apps debut on the North American stores before the European stores for the same reason but in reverse, if you see what I mean.

Not saying this is the correct answer, just my guess for what it's worth.

16. samab macrumors 6502a

No monthly fees or hidden charges?

Try to find out if the app includes live traffic updates.

17. samab macrumors 6502a

Gokivo launched earlier than AT&T Navigator in the US for the iphone --- so your "head start" theory doesn't work.

18. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

why would triangulation incur data charges.....

19. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

So they have released. Europe, Austraila, New Zealand, and South East Asia.

http://www.sygic.com/

But no love yet for US!!

20. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

European version has been stopped. No idea why though, according to their website.