Sylmar is burning

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GoCubsGo, Nov 15, 2008.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

http://www.ktla.com/landing_news/?State-of-Emergency-Declared-as-Wildfire-=1&blockID=135724&feedID=171

The Santa Ana winds are here and fire season begun weeks ago. True to form, the San Fernando Valley catches on fire and blazes out of control. This has been going on for at least my entire life. You'd think they'd somehow invent something that they could lay on the grounds that would help prevent fires from starting or at least spreading. Lofty goal, I know.

That said, I only just found out about this as I was leaving to go to Valencia for the day. Turns out I won't make it there as all of the freeways appear to be closed or restricted to residents only.

I only hope between this and Santa Barbara people are as safe as they can be.

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Stay safe!

Another fire is going on in Corona too.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

I was at Venice/Santa Monica Beach this afternoon, and it was crazy how hazy (I'm a poet....) it was. It was difficult to see the horizon and the mountains/hills looking north towards Malibu were very hazed out.

Even in Westwood, where I live, you could see the haze in the air.

Scary stuff.....

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I did some flying this weekend, and especially at night, you can see the flames really well from both the Sylmar and Yorba Linda fires. Most of the smoke over the basin seems to be coming from the Yorba Linda fire, though.

The good news is that the Santa Ana winds appeared to have dwindled, so hopefully the firefighters can gain some ground.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ugh, what a terrible weekend for flying.

And let's not forget Montecito and Santa Barbara -- over 200 homes lost there, at last count.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yep - it certainly was. Unfortunately, I don't get to choose when I fly (unless of course it's a safety issue). :(

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You're an ATP?

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Among other things. But please don't hold it against me!

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now why would I do that? It's the kerosine burners who seem to get annoyed with us bug-smashers. And ATC sometimes. ;)

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Heh - I certainly don't get annoyed. I don't forget my roots! And I'd love to be burning 100LL again. :)

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well it is mainly ATC who gets snippy with us. They're great 99% of the time, but you sure remember that 1% when they dump on you for no good reason.

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

That's for sure. And it's not getting any better with the FAA keeping them understaffed and slashing pay.

Have you been up since you got your medical back? Take me up in your 172 and I'll sign off your BFR. ;)