Symantec: iPhone has full protection against malware attacks... Android has little

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Looks like yet another reason why the iPhone is much better than any random Android phone (say hi to the SGSII for me ;))

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...ecure_than_googles_android_says_symantec.html

---In a head-to-head comparison, Symantec found that Apple's iOS is more secure than Google's Android. Specifically, iOS was characterized as having "full protection" against malware attacks, while Android was deemed to have "little protection."---

2. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Well considering that just a few days ago there were people on this site that were laughing because there was a Norton app available for Android and said that the fact there was one available showed that IOS was better than Android, I'd say you don't have much of a point. But since you seem to like antivirus software so much, there is more than one piece of antivirus software available on the Android platform. That said, this post doesn't make much sense...

3. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

His post makes perfect sense and has a great point. Android is an insecure POS platform. How stupid is it that it's so insecure that it needs Antivirus software? It's a dang phone! And it needs antivirus software. I've read all the stories about Android's market place. What a joke. What a horrible, poorly run piece of crap.

I am very thankful for Apple that they sit there and screen every app that goes in the store. Sure, some garbage (ie, not fun games, lol) still makes it in, but at least I know it's not putting a virus on my phone or doing something detrimental to my iDevice.

I'd love to see how Android fanboys are going to spin their insecure platform into something good.

4. mrmacosx, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

mrmacosx macrumors member

Read the original article please. Please don't read an article from a known Apple biased blog.

Nowhere in the official press release does it say that iOS has 'full protection' against malware and Android 'no protection'.

(original press release: http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20110627_02)

Mm... what was that? iOS has full protection?

So there you have it. iOS has strong protection against traditional malware because of its closed nature & app certification process, not because the actual underlying system is more secure or anything like that- it's because you can't install anything you want.

If you somehow manage to get a virus on a Windows-based PC it's because you're randomly installing applications and clicking on shady links. Same with Android- stick with known-good software, don't randomly install applications from unknown sources and you will be fine.

This is the same 'Windows has a million viruses' debate all over again. The general consensus is- if you're dumb and you do shady things then you run the risk of getting a virus. If you're normal then you will be fine with either Windows/Android or Mac OS X/iOS, all without antivirus of any sort.

It's a shame that many Mac/iOS users (there are two in this thread already!) get hung up on the 13-year-old BitTorrenters who install 'awesome' apps from shady sources then complain about being infected.

So, you were saying...? :rolleyes:

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Actually, if you read the Symantec report, they rip both platforms, and point out examples of iOS apps that sent personal info to remote servers.

The report also said that Android was better at security in some ways.

Symantec's reports are meant to scare people into buying their product. It's their livelihood.

Apple cannot prevent a timed Trojan. Heck, a kid even managed to sneak in a WiFi hotspot to his flashlight app without Apple noticing.

As Symantec put it, Apple's "vetting approach is not foolproof, and almost certainly can be circumvented by a determined attacker"... even though nobody knows of such a case... yet.

There are always security holes. If you recall, the very first iOS update came because there was a way to take over the device using a web page.

An interesting thing about Android is that it has a lot of third parties who constantly test new apps, looking for hidden code. That said, I think it would be good if Google did at least some automated testing on submissions.

PS. A better summary of iOS security (and holes) is this iSec report.

6. err404 macrumors 68020

Android is not bad. This issue doesn't speak to an advantage for either platform. This is merely a consequence of a core design difference on the two platforms. Once a user can install apps from any source, it somewhat increases the risk for this kind of thing to happen. This borders on being a non issue since the vast majority of users will rarely venture outside of the official marketplace.

7. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; Google Nexus S Build/MIUI) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'll use common sense, reputable sources for applications (I.e, not some cheap piracy site), reviews and the permission alert system upon installation to protect myself.

Been working for me so far on the platform so I have no reason to doubt it will fail me in future. If I get hit, I'll come back here crying. :D

I will say enjoy iOS by all means, having others look after your affairs can be advantageous if you are that way inclined.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, this is shocking. A company who has an antivirus app for android is now stating android is not as secure as iOS.

Its not like Symantec has any vested interest in selling an app on the platform :eek:

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

While it does have some self interest in this report, being a company that makes money on security software they have expertise in the subject.

Note they did not mention "buy our software / services!" in that article. They tried to keep it factual and neutral as possible.

Regardless, that is a good article (taken with salt) and this is good topic.

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

So, basically, this is telling us the App Store - which we know Apple polices very strictly - has no malware on it. Bravo. I read another report yesterday about how the sky is blue :rolleyes: