Symantec Removal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JD2418, Dec 16, 2014.

1. JD2418 macrumors newbie

When I was in college, my university required symantec to be downloaded prior to using my macbook pro to get on the network 2+ yrs ago (I think i was running mountain lion). I did, now I do not want it. To uninstall I dragged the app from finder to trash and emptied trash but the icon still appears at the top of my screen near the wifi, time capsule, bluetooth, etc icons. I search spotlight and finder for 'symantec' and yield no results. can someone please tell me what the hell is going on?:mad: Also, I have just updated from mavricks to yosemite; the removal took place while on mavricks. thanks

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Symantec is a very "intrusive" software. Can be removed totally only manually.

1. Please download (if you dont have it) EasyFind (Appstore - free).
    2. In search type "Symantec", Check "Files and Folders" + "Any Word" + "Ignore Case" + "Package Contents" + "Invisible Files and Folders".
    3. What you find with "Symantec" - delete.

Before proceeding to the above please make a backup, just to keep Mr. Murphy away.

3. JD2418 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply guys. I was unable to use the instructions from the link provided because I have no uninstaller to use, only the icon at the top of my screen. As for the easy find app; I downloaded it, searched with all suggested fields checked found 16 files, deleted them all, restarted my computer but still have the icon at the top of my screen. I guess I'm just going to have to take it to an apple store or something...

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Try removing any residual Norton files etc. with this Norton program.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080427024142EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

5. JD2418 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome!!! Its finally gone. Thanks for all the help!

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I see you got it removed...but just a note....the link I quoted above has two links at the bottom - one points you to the removal utility download.