Symbian OS Smartphones and MAC OS X

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
2,612
282
I'm want to buy a Palm Treo 650 or a similar device. I largely have limited myself to the Treo because i know i can sync it with a mac. I notice that other than windows mobile operate Smartphones there a symbian os phones. How well do they sync with macs?
 

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
1,542
32
i may be wrong but i believe the nokia 6600 uses a symbian os and it can sync with isync.
 

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
771
0
South Jersey
The TREO 650 can sync w/ your mac, but buyer beware- this phone and the Palm OS in particular is about as stable as win. 98. - I'm not killing the phone completely, but it has soooooo many problems for a device in that price range it's hard to recomend it to anyone. If you get the Treo 650, be prepared to troubleshoot, backup as often as possible, and try not to throw it against the wall. It's not completely unusable, but it's definitely not "mac-like" in terms of quality...
 

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
2,612
282
jemeinc said:
It's not completely unusable, but it's definitely not "mac-like" in terms of quality...
i wish apple would just solve my damn problem and make a smartphone, cos this is getting insane. cos thats what i need but they all suck, are carrier limited or not offered in the US
 

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
771
0
South Jersey
mashinhead said:
i wish apple would just solve my damn problem and make a smartphone, cos this is getting insane. cos thats what i need but they all suck, are carrier limited or not offered in the US
You can always get an unlocked one, or unlock it yourself. I've got my TREO 650 dialed in pretty good now- but it took some tweaking. Now that I have everything working good I really enjoy it; until the next hard reset and it's back to installing everything one by one till I find what's corrupted.
 

iMan

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
197
0
Oslo, Norway
mashinhead said:
I'm want to buy a Palm Treo 650 or a similar device. I largely have limited myself to the Treo because i know i can sync it with a mac. I notice that other than windows mobile operate Smartphones there a symbian os phones. How well do they sync with macs?
I use a Nokia 3650 (which is really an old an clumsy thing - but works) that uses Symbian OS. Syncs perfectly and natively with iSync; contacts and calendar items.
 

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
2,612
282
iMan said:
I use a Nokia 3650 (which is really an old an clumsy thing - but works) that uses Symbian OS. Syncs perfectly and natively with iSync; contacts and calendar items.
and it works perfect through isync?? do you have to install anything else to get it to work, because now i'm leaning toward the sony p910a
 

iMan

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
197
0
Oslo, Norway
mashinhead said:
and it works perfect through isync?? do you have to install anything else to get it to work, because now i'm leaning toward the sony p910a
No additional installation - works out of the box (apart from bluetooth setup of course).
That said - the 910 is a very nice phone! Several colleagues at work has it - of which one at least has it synced with his Mac :)

I am also in the process of buying and myself I am looking also at the new Nokia 6630, SE 910, the Treo and also actually QTek (requires a tiny additional software to sync though, but then works like a charm with iSync also).
 

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
276
3
GB
6600's are ok

I've had a Nokia 6600 for for over a year now, and had no problems with syncing - works nicely with iSync, matching all the changes I make on it or the mac etc. When it first came out I had to use a hack for the 3650 to make it work, but shortly afterwards it was natively supported.

There's a full list here (its a Tiger page, but the iSync version is the same). Your P910a is in the list too :)
 

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
2,612
282
iMan said:
No additional installation - works out of the box (apart from bluetooth setup of course).
That said - the 910 is a very nice phone! Several colleagues at work has it - of which one at least has it synced with his Mac :)

I am also in the process of buying and myself I am looking also at the new Nokia 6630, SE 910, the Treo and also actually QTek (requires a tiny additional software to sync though, but then works like a charm with iSync also).

i ended up getting a nokia 6630, i've paired it with my powerbook but i still can't sync contacts and address book. Does anyone you know have this, and did they get it to work, if so how?? Thanks for any help
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.