Symbol following numbers when pressed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgiera, Sep 20, 2014.

1. sgiera macrumors member

My wife's Macbook pro computer is acting weird. Every time you press the number 2 key, it get 2' . When I press 3, I get 3 plus a weird symbol after it. I looked online and can't find anything, please help!!!

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Sounds like your keyboard is glitching, usually caused by water. If so, kiss goodbye to your keyboard as it is unlikely it will repair itself. (Apple keyboards cannot stand water at all).

Open the virtual keyboard and check if any keys are held down or flickering. seems like your option key may be glitching.
    To open the virtual keyboard, go to system preferences, go to keyboard, and check the box to show keyboard and character viewer in menu bar. Then click that and show the keyboard.

If it is the internal keyboard, then.... well.... that's tough... you probably would have to open it and disconnect the keyboard (and use an external keyboard). If you can, you should see an apple authorized repair representative center (whatever they call them).

3. sgiera thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the information.

No water damage but took it to apple store and its a hardware issue. Warranty was up last year so $178.45 to fix. Not bad based on my other pricing I got which was over $300.00. Doing it myself, I think I could have done it but if I screwed up, its all on me plus don't have the time with a 1 year old.