Symbolic Link

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lbeck, Nov 22, 2010.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

I want to create a symbolic link of my MobileSync Backup folder on my boot drive. That folder contains my iphone and ipad bckups and its getting large. I want to move it off my SSD.

I'm using SymbolicLinker plugin to do so. I can easily make the symbolic link but I dont understand the proper way to move it. Do I move the symbolic link to the drive I want it to be stored on or do I move the symbolic link to the SSD where I dont want the data stored?

2. Hydramus macrumors member

You place the symlink on the drive where you want to move the data off i.e. your ssd. This symlink will then point to the data that is stored at another location.

So firstly, you move the data off to another location. Then you create the symlink and place it at the original location of the data.

3. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Thats what I thought but when I do that iTunes still makes a brand new MobileSync folder and acts like the symlink is not even there. Other people said it worked for them.

EDIT: A Ha! I had to rename the symlink the exact name of the main folder. The plugin I was using was adding the word "symlink" after the filename. I renamed it and it works!