Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gex2113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Having a little trouble with symbolic link in El Cap where previously it had been working. I have a MBP with two internal SSD and link a few folders to the secondary drive. In terminal I ran these commands but they aren't linking. Has something changed in El Cap or did I do something wrong this time? Thanks

sudo rm -rf ~/Downloads/
ln -s /Volumes/Secondary/System/Downloads/ ~/Downloads

sudo rm -rf ~/Documents
ln -s /Volumes/Secondary/System/Documents/ ~/Documents

sudo rm -rf ~/Pictures
ln -s /Volumes/Secondary/System/Pictures/ ~/Pictures

sudo rm -rf ~/desktop
ln -s /Volumes/Secondary/System/Desktop/ ~/Desktop

sudo rm -rf ~/music
ln -s /Volumes/Secondary/System/Music/ ~/Music

sudo rm -rf ~/movies
ln -s /Volumes/Secondary/System/Movies/ ~/Movies

sudo rm -rf ~/applications
ln -s /Volumes/Secondary/System/Applications/ ~/Applications

sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Mail
ln -s /Volumes/Secondary/System/Mail/ ~/Library/Mail

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Yosemite/Library/Audio
sudo ln -s /Volumes/Secondary/System/Audio/ /Volumes/Yosemite/Library/Audio

gex2113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Ok after further review I was using the download folder on the dock to gauge successfulness. When I went to the actual directory it was shown as linked. However, the dock shortcut is not showing the files in the folder as it normally would through the icon. Any ideas?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ok after further review I was using the download folder on the dock to gauge successfulness. When I went to the actual directory it was shown as linked. However, the dock shortcut is not showing the files in the folder as it normally would through the icon. Any ideas?
Replace the folders in the dock with the new folders you've made.

gex2113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Thanks chrfr, that gives me a link to the right folder now but lose the preview icon of whats inside. I know it didn't behave this way in yosemite.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Having a little trouble with symbolic link in El Cap where previously it had been working. I have a MBP with two internal SSD and link a few folders to the secondary drive. In terminal I ran these commands but they aren't linking. Has something changed in El Cap or did I do something wrong this time? Thanks

Make it easy on yourself:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/41493/symlinker

Use that.

Reactions: Weaselboy

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Ehh, that is exactly the same thing. The only difference is that you put things in a "box" and you click a button instead of using text and pressing the enter key. Using the keyboard can even be a much better solution, especially when you need some kind of accessibility tool. GUIs are not that suited and definitely not easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.