symetrical 24" monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rich Perrotta, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Rich Perrotta macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Posting a question for my buddy.
    He has the 24" iMac and was researching to get a 23" mac display to put next to the 24" for a daw recording set up. But then he was thinking, if he could get a "parts" 24" imac and use it's display so they would be exactly the same sitting side by side?
    Any and all advice welcome,
    thanks

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

That would be very difficult since you'd have to figure out a way to interface the "parts" iMac's display with the output from the main iMac. It's not just a simple DVI connector.

3. Rich Perrotta thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, But from what I understand, at his facility, he has the resources to make this adapter. So it's possile for this to work?

Thank you

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Wow, really? I know a lot of people have tried very hard to do this same thing, only with the old G4 iMacs, with no sucess. But if he can figure out a way to do it, please share.

5. Rich Perrotta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that insight.
    I'll pass the word.
    (and if by some chance he attempts it and it works, I'll let you know).
    Thanks again.

6. negatv1 macrumors 6502

If your were lucky and could find an broke down iMac with a bad/broken LCD and/or logic board, then you could gut it and hack in the innards of a standard 24 inch LCD into the iMac casing and use the DVI interface of that monitor to interface to the real iMac.

Crazy as it is, likely to be a bit more 'do-able' than using a standard iMac as a monitor, as it has only a video output, not so much of an input.