Symptomatic iBook - I think it's dying

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by manito2000, Mar 26, 2010.

1. manito2000 macrumors member

So here are the symptoms of my MacBook (had to edit the message because I noticed that i wrote iBook and not MacB ook) whoops......bought it late December 2007.

So here's some of the things that are going on w/ it:
    1. Anytime I watch a youtube video the fan comes on - it's a very whirly sound - it's so loud. At times the fan comes on and makes the whole thing vibrate. Also, after a couple minutes it goes off because it seems that it's loosing power and seems to slow down.
    2. Yesterday I tried to burn a CD in itunes and after 1 minute the time indicator (time left) just started getting bigger and bigger to where it was telling me it would take 30 minutes to burn the CD. Again, the iBook started vibrating but now it seemed to come from the CD drive.

I'm scared that it's going to crap out on me and leave me w/out a functioning system...

Any thoughts?

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

1. When you use flash on a mac it uses a lot of cpu power, wich heats up and then the fan rpm's start to go up to cool it, if the fan is making weird noises it might be crapping out on you. Check CPU temps with smcfancontrol or similar..

2. Maybe itunes was finishing the cd, or the superdrive maybe damaged or you where doing something else?