symptoms of a hard drive problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jlh, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jlh macrumors newbie

In the past few months, I have had more frequent problems with my computer. Often, I am waiting on programs to load, the computer gets super hot, programs shutdown without warning and sometimes it sounds like the harddrive is just spinning with an occasional repetitive pattern of clicks almost like it is stuck and can't do anything different. About a month ago, I was running office and the beach ball started spinning and went on for several minutes, i finally had to shut down the computer and when I rebooted there was a message saying panic kernel we are hanging or something. The guy on the apple support line helped me through it after several failed attempts but I am worried that this is an early indicator of hard drive problems. No daily problems were resolved since getting it back up and running, but I did buy an external harddrive since it occurred during finals and I thought I was going to throw up when it happened (TMI).
    After reading various threads, i have checked the SMART status and it says verfied but that doesn't seem comforting to me after the discussions on this board.
    Any suggestions or thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jlh thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention...

I forgot to mention that I was working in word the other day and I went to open safari and ical and letters were missing all over the page. I tried to write an email and random letters would be missing. After about 10 minutes everything went back to normal. All the files I saved during that time continued to be missing letters. I have no idea why that happened.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Clicking sound = harddrive failure is going to happen soon.

Backup your data / user folder...

Open Disk Utility and
    - Repair Permissions
    - Repair Disk

I would get that HD replaced if I were you.

4. jlh thread starter macrumors newbie

When I had the problem a month or two ago where I got the panic kernel the guy walked me thorugh the repair permissions and repair disk. Unfortunately nothing has really changed since then. I guess there is less spinning and clicking noises but...

I think I will look into getting it replaced. Thanks!