Sync 2 Computers exactly 10.7 ????

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by chewedpen, Sep 24, 2011.

1. chewedpen macrumors member

chewedpen

Hi guys I am looking for some input to a problem I have. I now have a laptop and a desktop both running 10.7 and I would like to be able to sync them both to be the same. ie. Desktops, folders, downloads, home folder, apps, ect.
    I am not having any luck finding what I need. So I thought I would ask the pros and the people who know.

Thanks in advance guys, I'm stumped on this one

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Are you looking for a one time synchronization, if so you could just clone one hard drive to the other. If you are looking for a continuous synchronization then it will be much more difficult to accomplish.

3. chewedpen thread starter macrumors member

chewedpen

I am looking for a ongoing sync, so no matter which one i am on they are both the same.

4. Omniver macrumors member

I do this. I set my desktop up as the server (Lion server), bound the laptop to it as a client and set the accounts up as mobile accounts. Now the laptop automatically syncs up on every login/logout. It took a little tweaking, but it's working well.

5. chewedpen thread starter macrumors member

chewedpen

could you explain to me how you would set this up? I am interested in how this works, and if I setup my iMac as lion server will it still run like a normal desktop as it is now but just be running server instead of the home user/desktop lion? thanks for your input

6. scsteven macrumors newbie

I too am interested in doing this. I just bought a new imac yesterday and I want to do the opposite, sync it to my macbook since the macbook has been my primary computer for years. I suppose I could do migration assistant, but like the OP, I want the two machines to stay in sync with each other. Thank you so much!!