Sync 2 folders over local network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JBot, Feb 13, 2009.

1. JBot macrumors 6502

I currently have a media center machine, and my laptop which i use to load my music with. So i am loading my albums onto my laptop and keeping them in the local Music folder, but i have the rest of my music collection stored on my media machine (also a mac).
    Im wondering if anyone has a solid free solution i can use where it can sync my music folder on my laptop to the music folder on the media machine. I have looked for some on google but they either cost something, or they dont seem reliable. If i could find one that runs on schedule to back up my music every night that would be prime.
    Please post your personal favorites or ones you have had success using.
    Thanks

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

you can use rsync and set it as a cronjob for every night

3. JBot thread starter macrumors 6502

Defiantly not the easiest method. And why set a cronjob when theres automator?
    Im looking for a simpler solution, preferably one with a nice gui. preference to graphite color schemes of course...

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

What's so hard about: rsync -rltzv /Folder1 /Folder2

?

I sync my iTunes folder every day to a networked HD

5. Mako5 macrumors regular

Mako5

Don't use Executive Sync

I am very interested in this to as I want to sync my work PC.

Whatever you do, don't use ExecutiveSync by SmithMicro. It really really stinks. Slow and error prone.

6. JBot thread starter macrumors 6502

How to automatically sync two folders

rsync doesnt do what i was asking. it syncs both folders at both destinations. i want just a one sided copy, meaning copy all folders from laptop onto media center, leaving the folders that are on the laptop there, and not moving the folders from the media center back onto the laptop.
    what happened to this thread? i created a new topic so this old one wouldnt come back to the top, and for some reason my original post just got copied as a reply into this thread?