Sync 2 iPads to 1 iTunes account?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TRDnAZ, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TRDnAZ macrumors newbie

Is it possible to sync 2 iPads to 1 iTunes account?

If so, how do I go about doing this?

My wife and I just ordered new iPads and I'm fairly sure that her old iBook will not connect to her new iPad. So I want to manage both though one iTunes account on my iMac.

2. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Doing it as I type to you on two separate computers. I have my own MBP and a Mac Mini that I use as a family media center. I sync my iPad to my MBP and I set up iTunes on the Mac Mini. I connect my wife's iPad to the Mini. The Mini has my iTunes account entered so she can actually buy stuff for her iPad from my account. In fact this is how I populated her iPad with my previously purchased apps. Works like a charm. No worries dude. Write back if you need more help.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Just plug both in. They'll show as separate devices. You can give each their own name and setup each to sync whatever content you want. It's no big deal.

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

It is no problem. I believe it looks at the SN of each device. I have two iPads two iPhones, two iPod Nano's ,and an iPod Touch all synced to one iTunes account. Never had a problem with any of them.

5. TRDnAZ thread starter macrumors newbie

6. wgary macrumors member

Note that you do not need a separate computer for each. I often have my iPhone and iPad both plugged in... and syncing! at the same time.

7. bpickens macrumors newbie

I have the same set up my iTunes account with no problem. The only question I have is when I bought my two iPad's over the weekend the gentlemen at the apple store told me you can only have two iPad's on one iTunes account. I was wondering if this is try and why would it matter?

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

If you use the same account you can share apps. I haven't heard of a two iPad limit though.

9. bpickens macrumors newbie

I had not heard of this either maybe I missed understood him but I am sure that is what he said. I really was not sure I was going to buy one but after playing with it I do like it. I am glad I got my wife one or else I would not of a chance using it.

10. Deacon272 macrumors newbie

So now I know i can sync both my wife's iPad and mine to my iTunes account. This will give her the ability to sync all my purchased apps to her iPad.

BUT, what if she only wants to utilize only half of them (2/3 of mine are business-oriented and wouldn't apply in here case). Can she selectively sync just the apps that she wants without disrupting the apps that are synced on mine?

TIA

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

Yes, you can pick and choose which apps you want (or don't want).

You're confusing 2 separate issues. You have an iTunes Store password for purchasing content (books, apps, music). The iPads should be set up with that same account on both. This will allow you to download apps, books and mucsic to both without having to purchase twice. Syncing to iTunes is a different matter. You can own any number of iPhones, iPods and iPads that sync to teh same computer's iTunes application. Each device is separately identified and configured, so even if you've paid for 100 apps, not every i-device needs to utilize every app. They are set up and sync-ed based on their own parameters - totally unrelated to the iTunes Account for purchases.

12. Deacon272 macrumors newbie

Great. Thanks. Makes a lot of sense the way you've described it.