sync a single itunes library to more than one ipod

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

can this be done?

I will have an itunes library on an external hard drive, & possibly 2 ipods, one formatted to fat32 & one formatted to mac os, can I sync my single library to both of them? or can I only have an itunes library on a single ipod at the same time?

I would be accessing itunes on my macbook pro 2010 with snowleopard 10.6.3, to sync the ipods.

could I do this & keep the fat32 format on one of them?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

could you give me the steps you take to do this?

4. mfram macrumors 65816

As far as I know, iPods plugged into Macs become Mac formatted. Just plug it in and go. You can have separate sync settings for the two devices, iTunes will keep it straight.

I'm not sure why you care how the iPod is formatted. The system is designed so that the iPod only ever syncs with one computer anyway.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No real steps, just connect the ipod and it syncs. Connect another one and it syncs, etc

When an ipod is connect it you can specify options for the syncing. These options are unique to the ipod.

So, for example, I have an ipod classic that syncs my entire library, a shuffle that only syncs one playlist, and an iphone which syncs my movies and tv shows.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just connect each iPod to the machine that runs iTunes and set up sync preferences. They will be treated as completely separate, yet can sync your entire library or just (different) parts of it if you choose.

I have two iPhones, a nano and an iPad on my main library and an iPhone, nano and shuffle on another. Generally, Windows formatted iPods will stay Windows formatted if you sync on a Mac.

B