sync address book w/o .mac account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RWS, Jul 12, 2008.

1. RWS macrumors newbie

how can I get my Tiger address book data from my old imac into my Leopard address book on my new macbook pro?

2. RWS thread starter macrumors newbie

can'tik sync using migration assistant

Thanks for your prompt reply. My first message should have given more information.

old: Imac power pc G4, 10.4.11
    new: Powerbook pro intel core 2 duo, 10.5.4

I have tried to use migration assistant in two ways - both failed.

1. run migration assistant on power book with firewire connected to Imac and restart Imac holding down T: firewire symbol appears on Imac and bounces around scren. Power book migration assistant says it is looking for another computer but never (after 10 minutes) finds one.

The firewire cable and connections are ok - I have used them to transfer files over the firewire network between these computers.

2. run migration assistant using "network" instead of firewire. Although computers can see each other over the wireless network (as shown in the Finder windows), the migration assistant on the Imac only gives me the choices "from another Mac" or "from another volume on this Mac". What I need is the choice "to another Mac" because the address book information if on the Imac.

Thanks for your patience.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Backup Address Book (under file menu) on old Mac and transfer file to new Mac. On new Mac, select Revert to Backup and you're good to go.

4. RWS thread starter macrumors newbie

can't find "revert to backup"

I am looking through address book menus.

Does your advice mean I must use time machine?

Thanks

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Revert to Address Book Backup is under File menu.

6. joeloud macrumors newbie

It shouldn't require Time Machine, no. Try "File > Export > Address Book Archive..." and save it somewhere you can find it back easily like the desktop. Bring that file over to the new computer, and import it in Address Book there and you should be all set.

7. RWS thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, you solved address book problem

rdowns: Address book 4.1.1 doesn't have that "revert" command. But thanks, you got me on the right track.

joeloud: thanks, that "import address file archive" under file did work.

But the two problems I note in my second post remain: I couldn't use firewire to migrate (the screen says old macs may fail) and I couldn't use network because my old mac doesn't give me the choice to migrate TO another computer (only from another computer). Does this mean I can't use migration assistant with these macs?