sync application question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vivithemage, Apr 1, 2010.

1. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I've sync'd my music on my iphone before, but I have not sync'd any apps yet, and it's telling me it will delete all content on my iphone and replace apps that are on my computer/itunes, which has none.

So my question is, will I actually lose all of my data/saves, and locations of apps if I start to sync now? If so, any way to avoid this?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to right click on the iPhone icon in iTunes and choose Transfer Purchases. That will put all the apps on your computer.

Also, backup your iPhone before doing anything.

3. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Thank you kindly.

So will that keep my app locations as well? After i transfer them of course?

EDIT : transferring apps from my phone didn't show up the applications in itunes, is that normal?

4. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Anyone else run into this before? I cannot seem to copy them off my iphone, and I want to sync it up, and not lose all my apps/saves!

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You don't need anyone else. Just do what I told you. From what I can tell, you didn't right click and choose transfer purchases. Correct? You couldn't find the selection?

6. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

No, I did, it said it xfered, but it took all of 4 seconds, I have 2GB of apps.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

When it transfers apps, the top of the screen shows each app as it's being transferred. What did you see? Just one?

Are you jailbroken? The only time I've seen this behavior is if you think you can sync jailbroken apps. You can't.

Got cracked apps?

8. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Nope, legit/stock AT&T phone. I saw them all scroll by really quick, but it never went to full progress, it just stopped.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Now we're getting somewhere. But it's late for me.

They shouldn't scroll by real quick. At least they don't for me. It takes several minutes for me, and I have nowhere near 2 GB of apps (how do you so many???).

You might try rebooting both your computer and iPhone and try again.

Next, you might need to reinstall iTunes. Just something to try, since obviously something's messed up.

10. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I am going to reinstall itunes quick, see if that helps. I have a ******** of apps, some games are 300mb + each.

11. siufai macrumors member

Also, make sure you're signed into iTunes with the account you downloaded the apps with and authorize the computer.

12. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage