Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FasterDada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
If this is posted elsewhere, forgive me! Feel free to point me in that direction.

I just bought a used 3rd gen. 32gb touch, which came with some apps I'd like to keep. I haven't synced it w/ my machine yet, because I was wondering if there was a way to save them and make them part of my account, without having the seller's account info. or computer. In other words, is there a way to reverse sync, download, or transfer the apps to my account or machine so I don't lose them? The device isn't jailbroken.

As a side note, XP recognizes the ipod as a camera, and trying to change the drivers via control panel in the apple folder returns the "no valid drivers in folder" message. So, I can't get XP to recognize it as a drive.

Jailbreaking seems attractive, now that I've discovered how locked down apple programs their hardware!

Thanks!

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
No you would need access to the account the apps were purchased on and your computer authorized to that account.

It is only showing as a camera because there are either screen shot images on it or images downloaded from the web or email that can be copied to a computer.

You can not transfer content like a removable drive only compatible media through iTunes.

FasterDada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
App Deletion on Used Ipod?

Once you sync to the computer all apps will be deleted.

After giving up the search on this effort, I found that in fact the previous owners apps WERE NOT deleted as I had both feared and heard! Repeat: the apps were still on my ipod and usable!

However, after updating apps from my previous iphone onto the ipod via iTunes, it prompted me for the login info of the previous owner for his prior downloads. They ended up being manually trashed...

aycayc

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
After giving up the search on this effort, I found that in fact the previous owners apps WERE NOT deleted as I had both feared and heard! Repeat: the apps were still on my ipod and usable!

However, after updating apps from my previous iphone onto the ipod via iTunes, it prompted me for the login info of the previous owner for his prior downloads. They ended up being manually trashed...

has anyone else tried sync-ing an ipod touch with itunes pc and apps weren't deleted?

faster dada, what about the videos and music in the ipod touch - were they deleted after syncing with itunes?

FasterDada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
has anyone else tried sync-ing an ipod touch with itunes pc and apps weren't deleted?

faster dada, what about the videos and music in the ipod touch - were they deleted after syncing with itunes?

There were no videos on the device, and only 3 or so songs. But they did in fact get lost when I synced to iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.