Sync Calendar & Contacts with something other than Outlook

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thedwolfe, Dec 3, 2011.

1. thedwolfe macrumors member

thedwolfe

I sync my Calendar, Contacts & Notes from Outlook 2003 through iTunes to my iPad and iPod. I want to quit using Outlook.

I am starting to use Evernote for my notes so it's just calendar and contacts.

I'd also like to use my calendar and contacts off-line with my PC which I can do with Outlook.

And is iTunes my only way to sync my iPad & iPod?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

There aren't many alternatives for Windows or even Mac when it comes to calendars and contacts. The biggest obstacle I see with your requirements is the "off-line" need.

This artlcle says that Outlook is the only Windows calendar app that can sync thru iTunes period, and there's no other calendar app that can sync without iTunes.

I'm pretty sure most users here have abandoned USB (or the new WiFi) syncing of their mail, contacts, and calendars. They've gone with iCloud, Google, Office365, Exchange, Mac Server or something else in the cloud.

I don't know of a Windows alternative to Outlook that allows off-line viewing of the synced stuff.

3. thedwolfe thread starter macrumors member

thedwolfe

Brian, that looks to be the case. I thought you could sync calendar and contacts to Google but the dropdown option in iTunes only shows Contacts for either Outlook or Google.

The only real problem I having is that my Outlook notes won't sync through iTunes but Calendar and Contacts do work. And since I'm transferring all my notes into Evernote (so great) I guess I can continue as I am.

My other problem which I'm not even addressing at this point is that when I update iTunes to the latest (10.1 I believe) iTunes does not recognize either of my devices.

I even went so far as to un-install iTunes, the mobile app, Quicktime.......and then install iTunes latest version but got no joy so I'm running ver 10.

Gathering info, thanks