Sync data to/from iPhone?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by jedirunner, Jun 6, 2008.

1. jedirunner macrumors member

Hi,

I am getting started writing an app and would like to have a mac version and an iphone version of the app. I'd like to be able to synchronize data between the two, so that if changes are made in the app's data while out on the road (via the iphone) those changes will be sync'ed back to the mac when they are connected.

Any suggestions on how to go about this?

thanks,

Kevin

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I think you'd have to have your iPhone app send the change data to one of your own servers and then have the desktop app check when it starts up, and vice-versa. In other words, do the syncing manually yourself.

As far as I know there is no facility to do this currently using built-in Mac services (such as through iTunes when syncing the iPhone), but I strongly suspect this will be addressed at some point. There are already clues people have found suggesting there will be some sort of data storage space on the iPhone, and I think syncing that data would be an obvious desire.

There is one possible hack I can think of that doesn't require an external server. Certain data can be created on the iPhone and is synced in both directions. These include calendar data, contact data, and photos, and most likely "notes" in the near future (and possibly other stuff I can't think of right now). It might be possible to hide your application data amongst some of this other stuff. So you might be able to do something weird like create calendar events for January, 1970 or whatever, and stuff data into one of the fields, then have your desktop app or iPhone app pull and search the calendar events for your coded data.