Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Vienna, Austria
Hello Everybody,

I have a sync dilemma to solve, here is the setup.

1. My company gave me an iPad as an x-mas present, and I have immediately set it up with my Mac at work (I am using a private apple ID account).
2. Since then I have bought quite a few apps from the iPad directly (over 3 dozen).
3. Now, what I really-really want is to actually sync the iPad with my Mac at home.

4. The problem is, however, that whenever I attempt to do this, iTunes informs me that it will dump _all_ the apps from my iPad. And I do not want to go through the process of a) noting all the apps b) downloading them again ... is there a way to avoid this?

X2thaP

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
The reason your home Mac says it will dump all of the apps is because it wants to synchronize your iPad to what you have on your Mac,
which, in your case, doesn't include those apps you're talking about. Basically, you have to get the apps to the home Mac first.

Just connect it to your Mac at home, open iTunes, right-click your iPad in the left column and choose to make a backup.
It should now create this backup and copy your apps from the iPad to iTunes (so they are on both).

Now you should be able to do whatever you want. Keep in mind that if you want to update your apps in iTunes,
on your home Mac, you will have to log in using the Apple ID you used to purchase these apps. That should be it.

PS: do make sure you have a backup maybe on your work Mac, just in case. But it'll be fine.
PPS: this is the explanation for the apps part of it. If you have music, pictures, videos,... on the iPad as well, which aren't on your home Mac,
you will have to transfer these to your home Mac first. If not, it will wipe these as well. What you can do, is setup iTunes to manually manage
the music and such on your iPad, this way (after doing the apps part) you can add music/video/... without losing what's already on the iPad.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can right click on the iPad in iTunes when at home and click "Transfer purchases". This will add the apps to your library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.