Sync files between Mac Pro and Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Demigod Mac, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

What are some programs or scripts that are useful for syncing files between a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro? One that can choose which folders to sync and which to ignore. I'd prefer one that can do it in one click, if possible. Online-based solutions really aren't what I'm looking for: I'd rather do it over a local network or firewire cable connection.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I have used rsync and Chronosync. Both work very well. Chronosync does way more than what I use it for.

3. kbonnel macrumors 6502

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

After trying almost every syncing tool out there, I'm back to simple rsync.
    Absolutely recommend and if you want even executable or scheduled: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/85

5. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

While it's not syncing software, thought I'd add that I use Teleport it's very useful for quick jump between machines using the one mouse and keyboard. You literally drag the mouse from monitor to monitor as if they were linked by cable.

Handy for using a Mac Pro and Macbook Pro like I do.

http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

6. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

that's sweet is there something that works for mac and pc?

7. cjoy macrumors member

yes, google synergy

concerning the sync issue:

I use dropbox for that matter. It also syncs via LAN when 2 (or any number of) linked machines are on the same local network... very convenient, fine grained sync options (e.g. exclude certain 'shared' directories on a specific client), instant sync between 4 clients. I wouldnt want to miss it.

8. tomllama macrumors regular

I really like chronosync (been using it almost 2 years).

For Mac to PC, I can't recall but I think I've used chronosync there too (in conjunction with Tuxera NTFS). I know I use it all the time to sync with my Windows Home Server.