Sync Fonts Across Macs with Dropbox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mhaddy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I'm having a little difficulty in syncing fonts across my two Macs using Dropbox. On my mac pro, I've successfully created my symbolic links from my /Library/Fonts folder and ~/Library/Fonts folder to my Dropbox folder. However, I now need to create a symbolic link on my Macbook Air to the two Fonts folders in its Dropbox folder -- sorry if that was confusing! Anyhow, without deleting the /Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts folders on my Macbook Air (which it won't allow me to do, for good reason), I can't create the necessary symbolic links. Any ideas on how to easily sync fonts between my two Macs?

Also, are all user-installed fonts put in the ~/Library/Fonts folder? If so, then I won't need to sync my /Library/Fonts folder and I can save some space!

2. paddyhazard macrumors regular

Hi Mhaddy, did you ever manage to sort this out as i'd like to sync my fonts across my macs? Could you perhaps create the symlink, rename it to 'fonts' then put it in the ~/Library folder, thus overwriting the original folder? Might have to be done in terminal under a sudo command if it's not letting you do it in finder?

Thanks

3. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

No - I got frustrated and gave up ;). Will look into it tonight & report back.

4. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

At first this article seemed like it held the answer:
    http://www.pxc.me.uk/misc/dropbox_mac_use.html#synch

But when I followed the steps it didn't work. The symlinks would show up as plain folders on the other Mac.

So I'm thinking maybe the answer is not to make symlinks to the Fonts folder, but instead move the Fonts folder into the Dropbox and then create a symlink folder titled "Fonts" in the location where OS X expects the Fonts folder to be.

What do you guys think?

5. dknightd macrumors 6502

I think that is the way to go. Or just copy the fonts to the dropbox, then copy them to the other mac (assuming you are not changing fonts in real time).
    When you add a font to one mac, make a copy in the drop box - copy it to right place in new mac, then delete from dropbox so you can keep track)