Sync gmail contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by toiday, Nov 4, 2011.

1. toiday macrumors regular

I've been syncing iPhone contacts with gmail but I've now noticed that new or updated contacts on my gmail account will get to my iPhone. However, new contacts created from my iPhone don't get added to my gmail. Did I miss something in the setup?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

When you tap on the + button to add a new contact, which "Contacts" group are you doing it from? The name of the group should appear at the top of the screen when you first access the Contacts app.

3. toiday thread starter macrumors regular

I use the top option which is "All Contacts". I have "All from My Mac" and "Exchange" groups. I don't see google group there.

4. r2shyyou, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Is your Gmail account set up as Exchange?

EDIT: just tested this myself and here's how it works (Gmail set up as Exchange): go into the Contacts.app and tap on "Groups" in the upper left corner, then locate your Gmail account and tap on "Contacts", then tap on the + and then add in your contact. You should be able to see it in your Gmail account within a minute or so.

5. toiday thread starter macrumors regular

I use iPhone to connect to work email (exchange). I have contacts sync with gmail via iTune in my MacBook Pro. I also have Outlook on my MacBook Pro. I don't want to add my Google to my iPhone since it's my personal account while Exchange is my work email. But I do want to share Google contacts with my iPhone for personal calls. Is that possible?

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Sure, just set up Gmail on your iPhone via Exchange but only enable Contacts and not Mail or Calendars. That should do it.

7. toiday thread starter macrumors regular

8. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Sure thing! Glad it works! :)