Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Isle of Arran, UK
I'm running Leopard with all the latest updates. I did some googling to see if I could sync my gmail contacts with the OS X address book. I found this link:

http://googlemac.blogspot.com/2008/05/mac-os-x-1053-sync-google-contacts.html

Magic, I thought. However the prefs pane in address book on my system does not have Google listed, only Exchange, Yahoo and MobileMe. How do I get it to add Google to the list? Failing that, are there other methods for syncing gmail contacts with address book?

Thanks
Cams

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

Cams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Isle of Arran, UK
Hey Cams,

You need to perform a very simple hack and Sync with Google with magically appear in your Address Book preferences. Just follow this link:

http://lifehacker.com/393855/enable-google-contact-sync-without-an-iphone-or-ipod-touch

Good luck!
Dan

That was a neat trick and I got Google to appear by manually creating the plist file. However how do I get the actualy syncing to happen? I've hooked up to my gmail account and also tried a Yahoo account and no syncing takes place. It's almost as if there should be a big SYNC button somewhere to make it all happen, but I can't find that. Is it supposed to happen automatically?

Cheers
Cams

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
That was a neat trick and I got Google to appear by manually creating the plist file. However how do I get the actualy syncing to happen? I've hooked up to my gmail account and also tried a Yahoo account and no syncing takes place. It's almost as if there should be a big SYNC button somewhere to make it all happen, but I can't find that. Is it supposed to happen automatically?

Cheers
Cams

same question... anyone have a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.