Sync Google and Mac apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mctavish, Mar 28, 2011.

1. mctavish, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

mctavish macrumors newbie

I sync my Google contacts, calendar, and Gmail with Address Book, iCal, and Mail so that the Google information will be backed up by Time Machine. I don't use the Mac apps otherwise. Does anyone know if I have to keep the Mac apps running (e.g. place them in Login Items) for the sync with the Google apps to take place? I expect that I could save some RAM if they weren't running.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The apps don't have to run for the settings to be backed up via Time Machine.

Your Address Book contacts that are synced with Google are stored on your Mac and will be backed up via Time Machine. You'd have to sync with google to get the latest data.

If your Mail account is configured to "keep copies of messages for offline viewing", then Time Machine will backup the messages, too. Again, to have the latest messages backed up, you'll have to run mail to let them download.

I'm pretty sure the Google calendar items synced via CalDav in your iCal are NOT on your computer to be backed up via Time Machine. You'd have to export the calendar (to your documents folder for example).

3. mctavish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Brian.

Do you know of a way of having Address Book automatically sync with Google contacts or does it have to be done manually?

Do you know of a way to automatically backup Google calendar? I tried BackupGoo, but it is pretty rough around the edges.