Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattrobs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I found a great iPhone RSS app, powered by Google Reader. But I use Mail.app for my RSS on my Mac. Is there a way to sync Mail and Google Reader's data? Maybe an AppleScript?

macneurotic

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Denver, CO
No can do.

But I'll tell you, I've tried a few Google Reader syncing apps on my iPhone and always come crawling back to the G Reader web app. It's fully functional, fast enough, free. I don't care about offline feed reading, since I'm 99.999% online.
:cool:

scarrab666

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
Sydney
This is a great idea!

Sorry to be so late to this one but I'd love an app to sync this up! I love RSS in Mail but I'd like somewhere I could see my feeds when at a 'Public' computer! Please someone invent I'll buy it promise!:)

lesbrown

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
Just Use The Google Reader Feed

I found that my Google Reader account automatically sums all feeds into one big feed. I can easily add that to apple mail.

In Safari, just look for the little RSS icon at the end of the url in the address bar when you're on the Home page of your Google Reader account. Click on that RSS button.

Copy the resulting string and load it as a new feed into Apple Mail. Before you submit it change the prefix to the url from "feed://" to "http://" - without the quotes - and you'll be all set. You might even be able to single out the feeds and import them one by one if you want, I didn't care to try that.

khatchad

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Yea, but to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't sync with google reader. That is, when you log onto reader from the web, for example, articles you read in Mail.app will still be marked as unread in reader. Is that correct?

I found that my Google Reader account automatically sums all feeds into one big feed. I can easily add that to apple mail.

In Safari, just look for the little RSS icon at the end of the url in the address bar when you're on the Home page of your Google Reader account. Click on that RSS button.

Copy the resulting string and load it as a new feed into Apple Mail. Before you submit it change the prefix to the url from "feed://" to "http://" - without the quotes - and you'll be all set. You might even be able to single out the feeds and import them one by one if you want, I didn't care to try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.