Sync iMovie between two computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maskedscientist, Dec 20, 2009.

1. maskedscientist macrumors newbie

Is there any way to sync iMovie, and all iMovie events and imports, bewtween two Macs? I need to edit the same file on both my MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. uncle808us macrumors newbie

uncle808us

iMovie 11 (9.0.9) Mac
    I'd like to know how this is done. Could you explain? Thanks I know old topic.... but I'd still like to know.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

One way would be to transfer a Project and it's associated Events to an external drive, and then use that to work with iMovie. That way you can work on a Project on any Mac.

When you plug in an external drive, it's icon will appear at the bottom of the Project Library and the Events Library. Drag and drop a Project onto the icon. You will then be asked if you want to transfer the associated Events as well. Answer yes in order to be able to work on the Project on another Mac.

As an alternative to that you could just copy your both of your iMovie Projects and iMovie Events folders, that are in your Movies Folder, to the external drive.

Either way, they will then appear under the external's icon in iMovie.

5. uncle808us macrumors newbie

uncle808us

6. uncle808us macrumors newbie

uncle808us

Thank you for the speedy reply I appreciate it.
    Sorry to be so dense. Could this work with dropbox or some other cloud storage?
    If so how?

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I don't think so. I have a Dropbox account, and it doesn't show in iMovie, so I'm thinking no, it wouldn't.

8. uncle808us macrumors newbie

uncle808us

MacBook 10.9.5 iMovie 11 (9.0.9) Move to800.jpg
    OK Thanks I have been saving to Mediafire then copying to My other Mac so far so good.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

OK. If you just want to transfer to the other Mac via Mediafire/Dropbox, that will work. I thought perhaps you were thinking of running iMovies from Dropbox, which won't.

10. uncle808us macrumors newbie

uncle808us

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in. OS X 10.9.5,
    Thanks for your help. I do have a time capsule never tried to run an app from it plus I never figured out how to set it up wirelessly. And the cable modem guy did not have a clue.