Sync in Progress... (something's wrong)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stangs55, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

32gb 3G + WiFi
    Windows 7 x64
    iTunes 9.1.1

Initial sync went fine today when the iPad arrived, but I only synced apps. After playing with it for a while, I figured it was time to start syncing pictures. So I made a specific photo directory in My Pictures and chose to sync only that folder.

After about 30 minutes of it sitting on 'Sync in Progress', I canceled and restarted. Problem is that I've now done that three times...this last time it's sitting on Sync in Progress for the past 45 minutes for only syncing about 600mb of pictures.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I would divide the pics up. im guessing theres something in that folder that the ipad doesnt like.

4. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Thanks for the help. Seems to be working now. My only thought is that I used to sync this same folder with my iPhone...wonder if some hidden cache files were messing it all up...Either that or my entire 'My Pictures' folder is nearing 1Tb now :eek: ...maybe it was trying to cache all of that even though it wouldn't sync it...

5. JBazz macrumors 6502

My first sync hung up on the Photos also. It said something about it formatting (or maybe maximizing?) pictures for the iPad. I just let it go and it worked its way threw the few pics I wanted on the iPad.

6. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Optimizing. That's what takes a while. I have thousands of photos but I only sync'd 2,606 today along with 5 days of music, and 5 television shows. My sync took a little over two hours to do all that. I'll sync the rest later--maybe while I sleep.

7. Stngray macrumors member

Agree that it is the optimizing. I have about 4000 pics which took almost an hour to optimize. I think it was about 4 gigs.

8. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

I had a similar problem...most of my photos are large jpegs and it took awhile to optimize them. ITunes was crashing after about 50 photos. I took me about 3 crashes to figure out what was going on, my solution was to divide the photos into smaller photos and sync them one folder at a time. After I did this it stopped crashing and all was well.

As a side note to all the naysayers and flamers, this is a OS X issue, not an IPad issue...

Cheers