Sync iPhone 5S on a PowerMac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OpTic Jayex, Sep 17, 2013.

1. OpTic Jayex macrumors regular

OpTic Jayex

Can I import photos from the new iphone (when i buy it on the 20th) on iPhoto?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Directly…no. You couldn't with the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 requires at minimum iTuness 11 and no PowerPC Mac can run iTunes 11. The last iPhone you can sync a PowerPC Mac with would be the iPhone 4s.

There are other options though. Dropbox is one, other apps in the App store will allow downloading either directly into iPhoto or to a folder of your choice. There is also Eltima Syncmate which allows you to sync.

3. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Not directly, if you use a service like dropbox and send all your photos you take up to that (you can get it to that automaticity), you can then access them by installing Dropbox (which is still supported on ppc) and then it's just a matter of importing from Dropbox into iPhoto or any other photo editor you like :)

Edit: you just beat me to that eyoungren

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's all good. Our info confirms itself. Much rather that be the case than Intell having to remind me again of what I got wrong. ;)

5. OpTic Jayex thread starter macrumors regular

OpTic Jayex

I'm planning on buying a Macbook Air or a Macbook so I can edit photos in Aperture cause the PowerMac is outdated. I'll turn on Photo Stream on the 5S and then sync the photos on the iPad to Dropbox, then to the desktop. Photo Stream on the iPad as well. :)

6. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Ah yeah we have all been there ;)

That sounds like a plan.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I hath been summoned by thy name!!! *puts cheese hat on eyoungren's head*

8. MrPilot macrumors 6502

Are you guys sure that importing pictures TO iphoto requires itunes 11?
    I thought it was FROM iphoto TO iphone that you needed itunes 11.

AFAIK the iphone uses the same API:s as any digital camera when transfering pictures to iphoto.

:)

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

lol!

----------

No, not sure. But I'll take a crack at it later. Frankly though, when I plug my iPhone in the only thing that happens is that it draws power. If I plug in my 3GS Dropbox pops up wanting to import photos. That tells me that my i5 isn't being recognized. But I'll see what happens when I call iPhoto directly tonight.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I believe nothing will happen when a Lightening device is plugged into a Leopard machine. The version of usbmuxd on it won't know how to talk to or recognize a Lightening device and just ignore it. Thus, it don't be able to open or start the PTP service to the device to allow Dropbox or iPhoto to import pictures off of it.

11. MrPilot macrumors 6502

please let us know what you discover ;)

----------

argh, I guess my macbook pro will return to be my main computer once I get the new iphone 5s if there is no way of importing to iphoto on the powerbook :(

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, well, well. It worked!

Connected my iPhone 5 and Dropbox asked me if I wanted to import. Opened iPhoto and it recognized the phone and imported. Now I have a bunch of duplicates in iPhoto, but oh well.

Strange that I never noticed (or tried) this before.

Anyway, the answer is yes. You can import directly to Dropbox and iPhoto from an iPhone 5 on a PowerPC Mac.

I was using a USB 1.1 port too, mind you!

Attached Files:

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Neat to know. Guess usbmuxd has just enough stuff to get PTP and basic iTunes version requirements running.

14. OpTic Jayex thread starter macrumors regular

OpTic Jayex

Wow! It actually worked! Nice TV though! How did you customize your desktop to look that way?

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, the screenshots are iPhoto of course, but the theme carries over from Finder.

The first thing was to install Aquadock's ML theme. From there I used Magnifique to install the Black Mac OS X theme (that's what turns everything black/dark).

I had to edit some of the system icons to make them white in the menu bar. Other menubar items such as iStat Menus allow you to change the colors, others don't so I have to live with it or try and change the resource images for them. Not something I've pursued yet.

I used Candybar to install a dock that I picked up off Deviant Art. It actually has a black bar on the bottom. Normally I like a transparent dock, but I really, REALLY like the running app indicators on this dock and the bar IS black so I kept it. Since a lot of my desktop wallpaper is dark, black, or gray it blends in and looks transparent anyway. Lastly, I also found some dark system icons off of Deviant Art and used Candybar for those.

The only thing I have not been able to theme yet is the white background of folder windows. Of course I could switch to icon view and use a black picture, but I prefer list view.

BTW, if you meant the TV, that's just the iTunes visualizer. My Mac is pushing it to my HDTV while music is playing (well, it was when I took the picture).

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

1. The word is "Lightning", not "Lightening". It is named after the electrical phenomena in the sky, not after the action of making something slightly brighter.
    2. usbmuxd has nothing to with Lightning connected-devices. The iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, iPad 4, iPad mini all show up as a USB Apple device that iTunes connects to as well as a standard mass storage camera. This mass storage camera is what the OP is asking about, and it works fine. That functionality should even work just fine in OS 9.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The incorrect word would be a result of iOS' magical autocorrect. usbmuxd has plenty to do with those devices. Without it the device won't handshake correctly and not show up in iTunes. The PTP service is used for image transfer, not the USB mass storage protocol. The PTP service isn't a part of usbmuxd, this why it works with OS 9 and other computers that don't have iTunes installed.

18. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Which, as the OP was asking about transferring pictures, is all that matters for his/her question.

19. OpTic Jayex thread starter macrumors regular

OpTic Jayex

I was just asking a question. Thank you for your responses!:D

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Shhhhh! Asking questions on the MR forums means you're actually asking for a debate. Usually one you aren't a part of. :D:D

21. RedCroissant Suspended

I thought the iPhone 3GS was the last iPhone that could fully sync with a PowerPC Mac. Was I completely wrong about this then?

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The 4 and the 4s are 30 pin so they should sync with iTunes. The 5 won't because of the chip in the Lightning cable.

However, iPhoto and Dropbox will recognize the iPhone 5 and will be able to import photos. I just did this last night on my 1Ghz 17" PowerBook.

23. RedCroissant Suspended

Yeah, I saw that you synced the photos with iPhoto, but the only reason that I bought the 3GS that I did is because it was(what I thought anyway) the last iPhone that didn't require iTunes 11, or didn't have limitation because of the HD capabilities of the phone, etc. If I'm wrong, then that sucks.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…I can't verify that. All I have is a 3GS and an iPhone 5. I'm sure someone with a 4 or 4s can verify this though.

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Any 30-pin iOS 6 device or older can sync with a PowerPC Mac running iTunes 10.6.3.