All iPads Sync iPhone/iPad Camera Roll

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mjohns930, Sep 2, 2016.

1. mjohns930, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

mjohns930 macrumors newbie

I take a ton of pictures with my iPhone and my iPad and I would like to be able to keep both camera rolls synchronized with each other, including full size images and videos. For example; if I take a combination of 200 pics and vids on my phone I would like them to be easily synch'd to my iPad camera roll or vice versa. My understanding is Photostream has a max upload size and of course it does not support videos.

Does anyone have a system in place to easily keep multiple iDevice camera rolls synchronized? It doesn't have to be automatic or completely seamless, just something where maybe I open an app once a day and click a "sync new photos" button or something. No third party apps to use in place of the camera roll either, has to be default Photos app camera roll that stays in sync. Also, while I do have a Linux based server and a MacBook Pro, I would like whatever solution to be purely iPhone/iPad based.

Thanks,
    Mitch

2. lostom macrumors newbie

Hey Mitch, doesn't iCloud photos sync do what your looking for? As opposed to photo stream.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204264

Maybe this helps, not sure but sounds like what you're looking for.

3. 960design macrumors 68020

As mentioned, iCloud should do the trick for you. I have used it since it came out with no issues. It also does handle video, timelapse, ect.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I like to have my images on my iPads, too. I do not do the iCloud for pictures so I, once a week, do a large airdrop from my iPhone to iPad. Only takes seconds to move 40-50 images.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

6. mjohns930 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I never looked at the iCloud Photo Library. I will have to look at that a little more.

7. inkahauts macrumors regular

It's exactly what iCloud Photo Library does and it's pretty dang fast when you are on wifi.

8. mjohns930 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I have been using it for a couple days now and it seems like it's what I was looking for. Just too bad I have to pay for more iCloud storage to make it work.

Thanks for the help everyone.

9. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Photostream is a legacy syncing mechanism to view your most recent iPhone photos (compressed) on your old Mac that can't run the newer OSX versions.

If you have a recent Mac, or are iOS only, then you should only be using iCloud Photo Library.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

That doesn't make any sense to me. I'm iOS only (in terms of the Apple ecosystem) and I use photostream. As far as I can tell, photos shared between my iPhone and iPad are uncompressed, and they don't use up iCloud space. What would I gain from using iCloud?

11. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205743

iCloud Photo Library
    • Uses your iCloud storage.
    • As long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you like.
    • Stored in the original format at full-resolution.
    • You can turn on Optimize Storage and save space on your device.
    • Edits are stored in iCloud and stay up to date on your Apple devices.
    My Photo Stream
    • Doesn't count against your iCloud storage.
    • Uploads your last 30 days and up to 1000 photos.
    • Downloads to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in a smaller device-optimized resolution. On your Mac or PC, your photos download in full-resolution.
    • Edits you make won't update across your devices.

12. inkahauts macrumors regular

Yeah I think you're have a couple misconceptions on what you are actually getting with photo stream. The above post nicely points out the differences.

They should really get rid of it completely at this point imho.

13. lostom macrumors newbie

Exactly Ht 205743 sums it up perfectly , library and stream are not the same, although they appear to do the same thing.

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Clearly I had some misconceptions indeed. But all I really care about is that photo stream allows the pictures that I take on my iPhone to appear on my iPad, and vice versa, effortlessly and without cutting into my limited iCloud space. I have both devices sync photos to MS OneDrive for sharing with my PC, so everything works out. :)

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think they need to keep it, for people like me who don't want to pay for extra iCloud storage that pictures would take up.