Sync iphone over wi-fi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by axeldtf, Apr 13, 2012.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I am trying to use the "Sync iPhone over Wi-Fi" feature. I was able to do it successfully once.. I left to go to the store.. came back.. tried to manually sync another song. When i did, it couldnt locate my phone, even thought it was listed on the device section on iTunes. So i had to relaunch itunes to get it to recognize my phone. Is this normal? Is there a better way to get my phone to show up? Is 6 minutes long to transfer one 6 minute song?

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Are you sure you have the sync over wi-fi box checked in iTunes for your phone? Wow, six minutes does seem kind of long. Perhaps your connection type/speed has something to do with that.

3. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Believe me, Wi-Fi sync is so slow I once thought it wasn't working.

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Sounds like a network issue though, and not WiFi sync being inherently dog slow. Just checked here, and WiFi sync was about 1MB/s during transfer. Fast enough to se that it is working at least. More like six seconds per song instead of six minutes. :)

But then again, it is an Airport Express network just across the apartment, with good signal strength and not much interference from neighbors.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It depends on your modem hardware/speed it supports. iTunes wifi sync is also VERY slow and unreliable in my experience. It's much easier and quicker just to use the cord. Though that's not really a solution.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Are you on an N network? Because if it's g or lower, it will be about 1-2MB/sec...that is fast, but in your case, something else is happening.

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

I've got a MacBook with 802.11n, AirPort Extreme with 802.11n and an iPhone 4S with 802.11n. So definitely not on a slow wireless network. Maybe interference or something else.

8. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in the g network.. tried it today after being away for a few days.. it seemed faster and more stable.. thanks for all your responses..